V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I'm 50 years old, darn it!

My wife's oldest son had been bugging me to ride from Houston to Florida since last year even though I had practically no experience on a motorcycle. I also had no bike. In September, 2001, he got me to ride his wife's Buell Blast around the block and that was enough to get me hooked and go get a bike. I have no idea why I thought a 720 pound bike was appropriate for a first time rider, but I sat on a Road King and Fat boy at Republic Harley Davidson and felt these were easier to handle than our son's sport and dirt bikes. Couldn't see paying $23,000 for a motorcycle, so I went on ebay and found all sorts of Harleys for around 15 to 17 grand. Within 2 days of bidding, I had bought a 2000 Road King Classic! Only problem was it was in Racine, Wisconsin and I lived in Houston, Tx. My wife and I drove up to Wisconsin and test drove the bike, loved it and paid the seller, a Harley employee, and then trailered it home. In less than 8 months, I put over 8000 miles on it! Drove it to Vegas and almost everyday to work. I've been enjoying this forum for awhile now, but never did an intro till now. Sorry!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much appreciated Straydog!

Never really hit me till now how unbelievable a first time rider would just up and get a 720 pound monster, but the King is easy to handle. Folks at work still can't believe I got it and made bets I couldn't make it to Vegas on it, especially with my better half on board. Rigoberto, the guy I bought the bike from was laughing at me because he could tell I had hardly ridden and he was awful glad we were trailering it home instead of riding it. After taking the MFS course and now 9000 miles, I'm getting the hang of it. Here she is (I hope):

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome joleibiker,

I think one of the best things you did was to take that MSF course I really helped me after being away for a bunch of years. I think you made a good choice in selecting the RK, sporty but you can still carry things.

As for the weight really depends on how it's balanced, of course if it falls on you then yea it's heavy but it not like you have to pick it up every time you want to ride it. I think H-D has done a real good job balancing their bikes so they aren't a hand full to ride. Once you get going it sometimes a lot easier to ride than a small bike.

Again welcome to the board look forward to your posts,

Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave, you are so right about the the King being well balanced. It is even manageable to pick up off the ground for even a person with modest muscle like myself. Just lock the fork and give it a good heave. Its embarrassing as hell to let it tip over and also to admit it, but maybe some other newbies can learn from my pratfalls- Don't stop in the middle of any turn unless you straighten your bike upright. They do teach that in the MSF course, though. God bless the inventor of crashbars!

Joleibiker:D

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Good to have another Texas boy here. Nothing wrong with being 50. I'm 51. You don't get to be our age and still riding scoots by being stupid. Looking forward to many more years on my bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts