V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,047 Posts
It happened to me.
I had my rear tire replaced at the Harley shop. The next day my OEM muffler on the left side fell off. The mechanic was quick to replace it with a new one. The parts manager said the mechanic never removed the muffler because they have a lift that allows them to lower the tire strait down. I didn't want to start an argument since the mechanic was already replacing the muffler but to remove the rear tire the axle shaft must be removed out the left side. The muffler is in the way and must be removed.
I never had a muffler fall off, but the last time I had a rear tire change by my local dealership, I happened to be getting ready for a long trip, so I rode the bike straight home after the tire change and proceeded to do a thorough cleaning and general inspection of my bike before the trip. Very quickly I noticed that the 2 bolts holding the left muffler to the bracket below the saddlebag were literally hanging on by 1 thread. That was the moment I determined that there would be no more tire changes by a dealership for me.

Reactions: Slingshot383

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys I do have a lot of experience with this situation. I installed headers and put my slip ons back and went riding. 3 times the right pipe fell off. Got it tightend up back at home and thought I had it. 7 months later at came back to haunt me. Here is what I think is going on, my clamp I believe was to far from the end of the pipe to properly squeeze where the slots are. So What I did was move it an eighth or so off the end, this creates an issue getting it back on because you can only slide it backward so far. Best scenario is loosen the clamp a lot slide the clamp back, put the pipe back on, slide the clamp forward slightly past the end of the slip on, a quarter inch if you can, then the pipe physically cannot come off because it limits out at the rear slot when it tries to move backward and the clamp being slightly off the front end of the slip on will not let it fall of and down. sorry for the word salad. If you want to go one step further put a nut and bolt in the slot under your rear bags, the pipe will never be able to slide backward. New clamps as mentioned above are never a bad idea. This was on my 2007 Road King

TJ

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not mufflers, but back when I was young and rode Iron heads, the pipes were always coming off at the head.
Yep. Saw that happen to an ironhead waaay back when. More recently saw a guy's aftermarket bagger 2:1 pipe break off at the collector. Forget the brand pipe but looked like it just rotted out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There is this thread going around on a metric site I still go to about mufflers falling off of folks touring bikes.
My shifter peg feel off today while riding

I hadn't heard of this!

Who else has had this issue?

One of the other HD owners has had it happen to him with this Street Glide, and another person claims his buds Road King has had it happen.

Both of them had aftermarket pipes.

Is this an issue, or a fluke?

41 - 45 of 45 Posts