V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am still lost. I still think it will take 2 or 3 things to happen for the muffler to come off. First the clamp has to be installed wrong or not a good clamp or something, Then the hanger bolts (2 each muffler have to come off) or the hanger strap would have to break. I mean damn you are having a bad day for all of this to happen at one time.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
It doesn't completely fall off. The inlet hits the ground and the mufller stays attached at the rear mount. That's how mine did anyway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I guess I am fixing to jinx myself but I have had 5 harleys over the past 8 years and I have never had this happen. I have taken pipes off my bike several times checking different pipes and never used new clamps. It says to replace the clamps after each time you loosen it. I guess I am cheap but I am not about to buy two new clamps everytime I swap pipes around.

I just put some new pipes on my 09 bike after the dealer already had the original pipes off to do the 103 kit. They didn't replace the clamps when they reinstalled the stock pipes. I will take a look at the torque on them next time I am messing with the bike.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
This has just about got to be the silliest story I've ever heard. The number of coincidences that have to occur for a muffler to fall off of a bagger and the odds of that actually happening are staggering. Only a completely inept fool could make this happen. It's not that it couldn't happen, just that it's extremely unlikely.
Just when you think you've heard it all the metric boys come up with something new.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
This has just about got to be the silliest story I've ever heard. The number of coincidences that have to occur for a muffler to fall off of a bagger and the odds of that actually happening are staggering. Only a completely inept fool could make this happen. It's not that it couldn't happen, just that it's extremely unlikely.
Just when you think you've heard it all the metric boys come up with something new.
Actually, much as I hate to say it, in reading the replys in this thread, it can, and has happened.

And it was an HD rider it happened too. The "metric guys" aren't making it up.

Don't be a Harley Snob.:coffee:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, with egg dripping from my face I'll tell my story. I had put on a set of Fishtail pipes on my EGS and it took a modified rear bracket for the support under the saddles and wouldn't you know it... of all days for one of the pipes to fall off, is the day I'm out for a ride with an anti-Harley Metric friend :( Try to explain that its my poor design not Harley's.
I'm now back to my OEM mufflers and haven't had it happen since :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Read this post and gave it no more thought...untill my wife called me from work, her left muffler came off just as she pulled into work. Sighhh

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Actually, much as I hate to say it, in reading the replys in this thread, it can, and has happened.

And it was an HD rider it happened too. The "metric guys" aren't making it up.

Don't be a Harley Snob.:coffee:
Not trying to be any kind of snob here and everyone knows that EVERY story in these forums (as well as the metric) is true. Pulease... if it indeed did happen then no one double checked any of the fasteners holding the muffler on and left them un-torqued and ready to fall out. Who does this?

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Anything that falls off a motorcycle was installed incorrectly to begin with.
Or was a poor design and made with crappy materials. Before HD "fixed" the problem, there was a spate of heel/toe shifters that loosened up and fell off the spline. That happened to me. A while back there were a lot of postings about that problem too. Don't hear too much about that these days with the newer bikes though.

Anybody remember to cracked rear header pipe issue? I had one and so did a lot of others. HD "fixed" that problem with a beefier rear header bracket. I agree dog155, improper installation can be a big factor, along with design and materials.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Not trying to be any kind of snob here and everyone knows that EVERY story in these forums (as well as the metric) is true. Pulease... if it indeed did happen then no one double checked any of the fasteners holding the muffler on and left them un-torqued and ready to fall out. Who does this?
Sounds like a SNOB to [email protected]:
I know it is cold up there and you can't ride, but don't take it out on us cause you can't ride............#[email protected]

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Still, it did happen, and what forum I read it on is even funnier!

And just look at the folks who've "come out" and admitted it has happened to them!

Who does this? I'm betting a lot, but also that a lot less of em do it now! And I also bet a lot more have had it happen than have said so thus far.

And why, because someone admitted to not being perfect.:coffee:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I look at it this way, anything bolted on can come loose on any brand! I believe a pre-ride inspection, would eliminate lots issues ! I would suggest in most cases, while checking tire preasure....shake some items etc...Although I must say, I've never encountered this, or heard of this happening with my of ride buddies. my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Fall off no, they can't (07 FLHRCI), but we did have issues with one coming loose after adding slip-ons. The after market clamps were junk but even the HD clamps won't work well after being tightened and removed a few times. After this incident I would suggest replacing any clamp that is taken loose with a new HD clamp.

RT

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has happened several times to me when I first bought my 95 FLHTC. Background: fleet mechanic & motorcycle technician so I'm no slouch with a wrench. Always only the left side that comes undone. My theory is the older baggers( like mine) have that intersecting point as a design flaw/ weak point. Reason I say that is the motor is on rubber mounts with a constant ( usually faster movement) than the rear of the motorcycle that is different from the swingarm back( plus: side play @swingarm, psi in the shocks, luggage, etc) . So as your engine runs and hit bumps that puts a lot of pushing and tugging on that exact spot. So inevitably, with the heat and cooling cycles, it begins to loosen up or at least slide. 1 Harley mechanic ( old school) told me that he fixes that by removing the small spacer in the harley clamps which give it a tighter grasp. Didnt work for me so I need to just pick up a new set, that'sthe only thing I haven't tried. I only own motorcycles so they are my daily an never have time for mine cause I'm fixing everyone else's lol. Any ways that's my experiences and 2 cents for what it's worth.

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
Howdy, guess you didn't notice this thread is a month past 11 years old. Don't be shy though there are plenty of current threads and we can always use another mechanics opinion. Welcome to V-twin.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
In case it wasn't mentioned earlier in this thread, The muffler clamps are a one time use clamp. They stretch when tightened especially under the influence of ham-fisted mechanics. I've been told you can reuse them once but a third time is really stretching it. Best to buy new ones if there is a concern.
I had this problem of leaks and loose mufflers. New clamps resolved the issue.

·
Registered
638 Posts
It happened to me.
I had my rear tire replaced at the Harley shop. The next day my OEM muffler on the left side fell off. The mechanic was quick to replace it with a new one. The parts manager said the mechanic never removed the muffler because they have a lift that allows them to lower the tire strait down. I didn't want to start an argument since the mechanic was already replacing the muffler but to remove the rear tire the axle shaft must be removed out the left side. The muffler is in the way and must be removed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is the first i heard of this. Murphy's Law prevails...so i'm checking both bikes RFN!

EDIT: I just checked Her 2017 Sporty: Both clamps tight!. My 14 Ultra: R/H LOOSE, L/H Tight...Thanks for the tread!

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I have heard the hype about the one-time-use clamps. My bike has over 100K on it and still has original clamps. Never had a muffler fall off. At 10K per rear tire, that is over ten tire changes. Even if the clamp wasn't there, the muffler couldn't fall of, because of the strap on the back of the muffler. It could only slide back so far.

On one tire change in Cody, WY, the mufflers were not pulled. They jacked the bike up, took the strap loose at the rear of the muffler and pulled down on the pipes. By the time I got to Sturgis, the head pipe was cracked. I am not doing that again.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts