V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there another way other than the "simply pry on with screwdriver"?
I have spring clips flying all over the garage. I guess since it worked on the "silent grey fellow" it is still good enough?!

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
3/4 Copper Pipe Union

A screw driver big enough not to flex works fine.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I don't try to get it all in one motion. Try pulling up on the screwdriver in stages. Pull up halfway or so and push clip toward tip of screwdriver as you back off slightly, then do it again. Should be able to work it toward tip in a couple stages then pop it in.

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
Check the upper surface to make sure you only have one o-ring installed.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
They make a tool and it does work well. I use a snap on screw driver one quick motion and the clip is in postion.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm using the SE adj pushrod kit and a f*****g screwdriver that's 1 foot long for leverage. The spring has to be compressed 3/4" in order to get that clip on. The screwdriver always slips off. It's day 3 now and I give up. I guess I'm not manly enough to work on HD. The springer classic has been parked in the corner and covered with a sheet. I'm now taking my old vulcan classic out of mothballs so I can ride now that the weather has cooled off.

Luckily I'm not attached to my bikes. They are just tools. So as long as I've got something to ride...Hell, I'd ride a Zundapp if it works rather than to continually beat this dead horse twin cam, which pisses me off.

·
Premium Member
00 Road King, 00 Ultra, 98 Fatboy, 08 Goldwing
527 Posts
Well, I'm using the SE adj pushrod kit and a f*****g screwdriver that's 1 foot long for leverage. The spring has to be compressed 3/4" in order to get that clip on. The screwdriver always slips off. It's day 3 now and I give up. I guess I'm not manly enough to work on HD. The springer classic has been parked in the corner and covered with a sheet. I'm now taking my old vulcan classic out of mothballs so I can ride now that the weather has cooled off.

Luckily I'm not attached to my bikes. They are just tools. So as long as I've got something to ride...Hell, I'd ride a Zundapp if it works rather than to continually beat this dead horse twin cam, which pisses me off.
You might try a screwdriver with a wide blade. Sometimes those clips can be a pain. I've got a special screwdriver with a wide blade that I use. What part of Louisiana are you in?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
They make a tool and it does work well. I use a snap on screw driver one quick motion and the clip is in postion.
I got a Klein screw driver. Should I use the $50 to buy a snap on screw driver, or the tool?

I hate them bastards.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Not sure you need to compress 3/4". I just use a standard Craftsman flat blade screwdriver. Put the clip in the head, screwdriver on bottom tube with clip on top of blade, push clip toward tube while leveraging screwdriver down and the clip slides right in.

If that doesn't work here is a guy that used a big open end wrench to do it.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
I got a Klein screw driver. Should I use the $50 to buy a snap on screw driver, or the tool?

I hate them bastards.
I use a cheap assed Craftsman screwdriver which is about 4 inches long with a 1/4" wide blade, able to pop them right on, but then I've had lots of practice. I actually bought the plastic tool HD started selling thinking it might be easier, it sucked and now it sits in the toolbox while I use the little screwdriver.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
A nice stout putty knife will do.Pump it up and down like a car jack as you push the clip inward.Just a quick pop in with a screwdriver for me now.
Also do not use a screwdriver with serrations on the end,clip won't slide in as easy.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
I took a stiff gasket scraper, ground out a half moon in the end. Filed everything smooth. Works like a champ and is easy to use.. ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I've taken a couple of days off. Pulled the engine on the Kawasaki.....have to pull the engine to take the heads off. No room below the top tube. That sure takes longer than pulling the heads on the springer! Every bike has it's little dirty secrets.

I watched the video. I'm skeptical....no cursing was heard. :) However, it proves that these things actually fit. So if I don't get these clips on now I'm going to start wearing thongs on the outside of my jeans to show that I am a compete wussey.

Thanks for all the help, Lord knows I need it.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Safe

I took a stiff gasket scraper, ground out a half moon in the end. Filed everything smooth. Works like a champ and is easy to use.. ;)
That's a great one and rules out making a slip with a screw driver...Gotta make one.:thumbsup:
Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts