V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rideing buddys say it's a muscle bike. it does have some muscle ( enough to blow by a new suzuki rice grinding DNA pool thinner like he wasn't moveing)
build so far has gone like this:
95inch
KB pistons 10-1cr
ported 06 heads with oversize valves with new gides
Roller rockers with billet support
SE 257 chain drive cams
SE pushrods
Port matched TB
SE oil cooler
SE/K&N aircleaner
Thunderheader {sorry V&H tired of waiting}
SERT {with tuneing help and dyno time by Dyno Don & WW}
over 100flb of TQ from 2400rpm with a max of 120 at 5250rpm and 112hp 6000rpm.
I've also added a Badlander seat and New HD pegs & grips.
last weekend it got 41mpg on a quick paced backroad & interestate ride. that's only 6mpg less then it got stock.
I hope to take her to ThunderValley this spring and see what kind of 1/4 mile times she'll turn.
So what should i call it?

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
you could call it a superglide!! you may even try cafe racer?
i call mine Betsy:eek:

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
That would qualify as a "power cruiser" , I refered to my hot rod FXDX as a cafe' bike .

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Thomas Howard said:
...I hope to take her to ThunderValley this spring and see what kind of 1/4 mile times she'll turn. So what should i call it?...

Thomas,

Post your results when you make it to the track. That's a lot of power you're making!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sweet!

Sounds like a cool build you've got there. Just out of curiosity, what type of Suzuki did you blow by? I blew by a Suzuki the other day too, but it was just a "Volusia" 800 cruiser!

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Well, what you have there is a motorsickle.
One of the few that is just purely that, and doesn't fit into some specialized niche.
Be proud of that.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OrangeTJ said:
Sounds like a cool build you've got there. Just out of curiosity, what type of Suzuki did you blow by? I blew by a Suzuki the other day too, but it was just a "Volusia" 800 cruiser!
2004 suzuki bandit 1200

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
It's a custom. It's yours.

You personally liked the major attributes of the bike, and then changed or modified the things that didn't work precisely for your style. I do the same thing.

It's your bike. If all of your friends have extended springer front ends and you like stock forks because you love twisty back roads, then so be it.

The head mechanic at a Harley where I used to work, Rick, bought three bushel baskets of parts from the Harley motor testing department. These parts were from engines that had blown up, siezed up, ran dry of oil and then just plain worn out. The owner of our shop, Al Decker, helped him unload the piles of parts and told everyone within ear-shot that this was a fool's errand.

"Rickie Ratchet" lived in a trailor at that time. If he was to have a new bike it was going to have to be built on a shoestring. I went over to his trailor one night and helped him lift stuff during the assembly.

In spring, Rick rolled out the most trick custom we had ever seen. It was low, long, with a shorter than stock front end and a powerful engine trimmed with miles of chrome personally polished before the dip.

And it was bright canary yellow.

It was a singular bike among forty black cut-outs. When gawkers stopped to look at our bikes, they were often drawn to his.

He found a diamond in the rough. He swam upstream of current thought. He tried new thoughts with untried materials.

Moreover, the bike was his own.

·
Banned
871 Posts
Thomas Howard said:
My rideing buddys say it's a muscle bike. it does have some muscle ( enough to blow by a new suzuki rice grinding DNA pool thinner like he wasn't moveing)
build so far has gone like this:
95inch
KB pistons 10-1cr
ported 06 heads with oversize valves with new gides
Roller rockers with billet support
SE 257 chain drive cams
SE pushrods
Port matched TB
SE oil cooler
SE/K&N aircleaner
Thunderheader {sorry V&H tired of waiting}
SERT {with tuneing help and dyno time by Dyno Don & WW}
over 100flb of TQ from 2400rpm with a max of 120 at 5250rpm and 112hp 6000rpm.
I've also added a Badlander seat and New HD pegs & grips.
last weekend it got 41mpg on a quick paced backroad & interestate ride. that's only 6mpg less then it got stock.
I hope to take her to ThunderValley this spring and see what kind of 1/4 mile times she'll turn.
So what should i call it?
Sounds like it's a motorcycle to me. :) I call mine a Dyna Convertible (it's an FXDS-CONV.... duh). If you insist on calling it something "special", call it what it is... a modified Superglide. ;)

But seriously, for racing purposes, the class you enter it under depends on your track's rules. Most small tracks use the ET class for most street-ridden bikes, where you go up against many different types of bikes. The "slower" bike is given a handicap (earlier start), depending on their "dialed-in" ET. For the All Harley Drag Racing Association sponsored events, you would have to meet certain criteria based on their rulebook: http://www.ahdra.com/rules.html

Here's another link that describes ET racing in detail: http://www.nhra.com/basics/index.html

Read through their classes and that should get you pointed in the right direction. :)

Good luck and have fun! :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ToddM said:
Sounds like it's a motorcycle to me. :) I call mine a Dyna Convertible (it's an FXDS-CONV.... duh). If you insist on calling it something "special", call it what it is... a modified Superglide. ;)

But seriously, for racing purposes, the class you enter it under depends on your track's rules. Most small tracks use the ET class for most street-ridden bikes, where you go up against many different types of bikes. The "slower" bike is given a handicap (earlier start), depending on their "dialed-in" ET. For the All Harley Drag Racing Association sponsored events, you would have to meet certain criteria based on their rulebook: http://www.ahdra.com/rules.html

Here's another link that describes ET racing in detail: http://www.nhra.com/basics/index.html

Read through their classes and that should get you pointed in the right direction. :)

Good luck and have fun! :D
not trying to jerk your chain but i've been dragraceing since 1972 [1969 Dodge Hurst Hemi Dart (the real thing not clone)/ ran 8.77 @ 154mph with M&H StreetMaster tires at street night last Oct.] also rode Scorpion Enginering's Top Fule Harley in 1979 & 80.
i don't plan on raceing this or any other bike in a class. i just want to know what it'll do in a 1/4.
From the seat of my pants i'd gusse it's in the high 11"s low 12's.

·
Banned
871 Posts
Thomas Howard said:
not trying to jerk your chain but i've been dragraceing since 1972 [1969 Dodge Hurst Hemi Dart (the real thing not clone)/ ran 8.77 @ 154mph with M&H StreetMaster tires at street night last Oct.] also rode Scorpion Enginering's Top Fule Harley in 1979 & 80.
i don't plan on raceing this or any other bike in a class. i just want to know what it'll do in a 1/4.
From the seat of my pants i'd gusse it's in the high 11"s low 12's.
Me too, since 1979. :D Ran a 1975 Grand Torino Elite w/ 460 cu.in. (429 heads) for several years. Also ran a 1976 XLCH on and off for 14 years.

Guess I misunderstood your question. The way your question was worded sounded like you wanted to know what class to enter it in. Can't imagine any other reason for a special name.... ;) Since you have so much racing experience, I'm sure you can come up with something interesting. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
two bikes

over the years I have usually had two bikes in my garage, a solo hot rod, and a touring! I sold my touring last year, as well as every other bike I've owned except my black Dyna solo custom!

My wife calls her my MISTRESS!

I believe this is actually the only bike she has ever disliked, despite always refering to her as HER and the beauty!:brows:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts