·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between Part Numbers

29773-02B
and
29440-99C

Besides the 99C fitting carbs as well as EFI, WTF is the difference to a guy w/ EFI?
This is not a test, it just came up at the parts counter the other day, and they only ever order the 02B for the EFI bikes and I've got the 99C on mine, so who knows?

Thanks,

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
Just a guess..if these are numbers for the air cleaner cover.. one will have a cutout for the top of the carb. FI models do not have the cutout...

·
Registered
487 Posts
breather mounting setup is diferent but either will fit

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Otto said:
breather mounting setup is diferent but either will fit
Now we're getting somewhere.
With a one piece cast backing plate, what's different about the breather setup?

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Well Mega I went back in time to the 2003 catalog, and the 29773-02 (original Part number without the B) was for EFI only and the 29440-99B (not the C) was for carb model only. The 29441-99A was for EFI models.
Also, for some reason they considered the 29773-02 street legal and the 29440-99 and 29441-99 for race only. Maybe the 29773 has a paper element and the 29440 has a K&N element
Just a guess, hope this helps a little.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are both paper and in the current SE and/or P&A Catalogs...
But thanks, we're getting there...

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Mega,
I do not find the 29440-99 or the 29441-99 (regardless of alpha rev) in my 2005 or 2006 P/A catalog.
Is H-D now putting out a special SE catalog.
The 2004 P/A catalog specifically states the 29440-99B and 29441-99A have a "high-flow, oiled, washable air filter".
The latest alpha rev changes were probably to change from the K&N filter to the new paper POS.
Just an added note, the 29773-02B works on the H-D web site, 29440-99 and 29441-99 do not regardless of alpha rev.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Thanks for the link. Like to learn new things.
I never looked there because I already have the SE breather and I mainly use aftermarket parts.
Thanks again Mega.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Mega,
After reading the SE catalog, it says the filters for the 29441-99A (EFI) and the 29440-99C (carb) are washable indicating they are still the K&N filter.
The 29773-02A has a paper element and is listed as still street legal.
Mind you the picture showes the paper element in the SE catalog, but I just think the tech writer is lazy and did not want to post the real picture or the tech writer did not update the wording and it is a paper element like you said. Confusing?
To confirm, you might have your local H-D dealer pull up the parts list for each one and see exactly what the differences are.
Later.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
We tried that, and the parts list for the 29773-02B
refers to the 29440-99C sheet, believe it or not. The 29773-02B is just about 1/2 page of text, but interestingly enough (I just noticed) makes mention of a label:
"The product information label contained in this kit is required
in the state of California only. This label is required to aid in
passing the California Smog Check Program. Place the
information label on the right side of the frame directly
beneath the VIN sticker. Do not place the label on motorcycles
other than those specified in the Instruction Sheet."

Of course, the other instruction sheet says it is CA legal as well, but makes no mention of the label.

And the MoCo says the paper is washable.
The MoCo is many things, but stupid with their money is not one of them, so I figure there has to be some compelling reason for them to have 2 SKUs for what appears to be the same thing. And yes, they both have the paper filter.
Could it really be cheaper to stock 2 SKUs than to just include a sticker in all of them?

BTW, the '04 catalogs are worthless for the sake of this discussion. '05 is when they went to the paper element, and the catalogs were not updated until mid-'05 to reflect this. The M/M EFI filters might still be K&N, but I'm not sure. Both of these part #s are for Delphi anyway...

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Just glad I got mine back in 99 before they had two breather lines, only one on the rear, and were still using K&N filters. Two many chooses these days and you still have to buy the K&N seperatly.
So street legal is a sticker on the frame. That's a good one.
Sorry I could not have been of more help.
Ride safe Dave.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, you too!
It was just one of those things that came up when I was getting a chrome back plate for mine and wanted to replace the o-rings, so we went to pull the sheet for a part number and....:huh:

·
Bike Addict
84 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Between Part Numbers

29773-02B
and
29440-99C

Besides the 99C fitting carbs as well as EFI, WTF is the difference to a guy w/ EFI?
This is not a test, it just came up at the parts counter the other day, and they only ever order the 02B for the EFI bikes and I've got the 99C on mine, so who knows?

Thanks,
According to my local Harley shop, the 99C is the old part number and the 02B is the new replacement. :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts