V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a book - "Motorcycles for Dummies" (fits me when it comes to bikes - Im a new rider), and the author said he changes his oil every 1,000 miles. is that overkill? I bought a service package at the dealer when I bought my bike, so I'll be bringing it to them every 2,500 miles. They change the oil every 5,000 miles and inspect it every 2,500 miles. Given that, any need for me to be doing my own oil changes? If so, what's the cheapest alternative to stabilize the bike when I do the change? Keep in mind I've never taken a wrench to the bike although I wouldn't mind learning how to do some of my own work on her.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
95fxst

Don't know whether that was tongue in cheek. Is the kickstand stable enough to support the bike when you're changing the oil filter?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Oil Change

nyaz2000,

Tongue in cheek or not, the kickstand is there for a reason. Change your oil and filter . After several years of doing my own maintence , I did purchase a jack stand or lift if you want to call it that, It will support the whole bike up to 18 inches from the pavement, allowing me to do the oil change ,filter removal as well as belt inspection , tires, etc.

I have never been steered wrong by the H.D. factory manual for the scooter that I owned.

Ride Safe.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
nyaz2000,

A fellow newbie here:)

5K between oil changes sounds at little long, most recommendations I've seen are change it after the first 500 miles, then every 2500 - 3K. I would be concerned that the dealer is trying to control costs under the service agreement. I'd RTFM to get the straight skinny from HD.;)

wyodude

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Re: Oil Change

nyaz2000,

The manual does say 5000 miles between oil change using H.D. oil and filter. If your motor does'nt wear out, are you going to buy another one right away? The Motor Co. has to sell bikes.
I never went over 3,500 miles on my scooters. I had no promblems with them.

Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Re: OIL CHANGE

nyaz2000,

Sent a post to you a short while ago. Don't know what happened to it, so I will try again. H.D. recommends oil and filter change every 5000 miles using Motor Co. oil and filter. That is a long way to go in my book. I never went over 3,500 m8iles on my bikes, and I never had a promblem with them.

Ride Safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts