V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes everyone has a preference,my question is to high zinc oils for newer engines. I know it's recommended for older engines...is there any detrimental effects using high zinc or additives in the new motor.

·
Registered
623 Posts
High Zink Oils are beneficial breaking in Flat Tappet Camshafts. Harley uses Roller Tappets (Lifters).

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
Yes everyone has a preference,my question is to high zinc oils for newer engines. I know it's recommended for older engines...is there any detrimental effects using high zinc or additives in the new motor.
As said above, zinc was needed to reduce the wear on flat tappet cam shafts.

Zinc was removed from motor oil for two reasons. It fouls cat-converters. And it makes waste oil more toxic to deal with. Past that, the lubrication failures in Harley Vtwins are usually not oil related in a way that zinc would help. The materials use to make them, and overheating are the main issue with Vtwins.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not trying to promote any oil brand here. Just change your oil frequently. I've built motors for racing and rock climbing for 40+ years. Red Line oils always was my go to. Give them a call.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I run the syn oil with highest zinc levels in Australia it is 2200 level zinc. Consider rocker to valve contact area. Late motors have no roller bearings in cam support plate.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I run the syn oil with highest zinc levels in Australia it is 2200 level zinc. Consider rocker to valve contact area. Late motors have no roller bearings in cam support plate.
And car engines have plain bearings on the crankshaft and connecting rods, yet the low ZDDP oils work fine in that application.

The main issue with low ZDDP oils is the tappet to cam lobe contact area.

Harleys have had roller tappets since before I was born (I`m 67), and car manufacturers have gone to some type of roller type system to eliminate the problem caused by the lowered ZDDP level.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am a Mechanic (started apprentice 1974 ) have done a lot of study on motor oils. All the Harley oils are around 1800 ZDDP (zinc). Combined with Synthetic tech. Also all Race oils have high zinc levels as it reduces friction on mating parts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
And car engines have plain bearings on the crankshaft and connecting rods, yet the low ZDDP oils work fine in that application.

The main issue with low ZDDP oils is the tappet to cam lobe contact area.

Harleys have had roller tappets since before I was born (I`m 67), and car manufacturers have gone to some type of roller type system to eliminate the problem caused by the lowered ZDDP level.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts