V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed to Amsoil at my 5,000 mile oil change(I now have 6,350). My stealer recommends 2,500 mile oil changes on dyno oil. I noticed more chain noise with Amsoil. I'm thinking of going back to dyno. What do you guys think?

Hell Razor :chopper:

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Hell Razor said:
I recently changed to Amsoil at my 5,000 mile oil change(I now have 6,350). My stealer recommends 2,500 mile oil changes on dyno oil. I noticed more chain noise with Amsoil. I'm thinking of going back to dyno. What do you guys think?

See Chuck's "Final Answer".......

http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=55319

IMO, your dealer is wrong, but that's just me. I use all Amsoil products and change the engine oil at 4,000-5,000 like the book says. Other guys like Mobil1, Redline and dino. Change choices range from less than 2,000 to 5,000 miles.

T113

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Hell Razor said:

If you have more chain noise now maybe something needs adjusted. Your engine may be running quieter in other areas now and may be you can hear a noise that has been there all along. If any noise you hear bothers you then you might want to have some used oil sent off to a lab to make sure something isn't wearing prematurely. You could have some fuel dilution problems that might make the oil thin out. This would show up on an oil report. Catch it now before your warranty is gone. If everyone else was having your same complaint then an oil change might make the difference, but there is hundreds of bikers on this forum that are using Amsoil without your complaint so get your bike checked out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
oil

Harley now says 10 k if on the syn3

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Medicfl1,
Just so you know it's
5k motor
10k primary
20k trans
with syn3
per Harley

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
LittleBear said:
Medicfl1,
Just so you know it's
5k motor
10k primary
20k trans
with syn3
per Harley
When using the Amsoil it is the same mileage ratings except for the motor where Amsoil recommends 10,000 miles.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Just a comment because I am no expert on oils by any stretch. Please comment George.... When I change my engine oil (2,500 miles) it is ALWAYS very dark due to contamination from combustibles, water, and dirt (over time). I have used Mobil 1 and Syn 3 as far as synthetics go and it's always "dirty". However, if you look at a smaller sample of the oil it's not as "dark" as it looks while coming out of the drain hole. I fully understand how the synthetics can go for many more miles and not break down but no matter what oil you use, it's going to get contaminated in an "unsealed" motor. The primary and tranny oil always comes out looking like it just came out of the bottle...almost. Just me but I will continue to change engine oil at 2,500 - 3,000 regardless of what I use....because I know for sure that it is always being contaminated.
Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
steveusmc said:
Just a comment because I am no expert on oils by any stretch. Please comment George.... When I change my engine oil (2,500 miles) it is ALWAYS very dark due to contamination from combustibles, water, and dirt (over time). I have used Mobil 1 and Syn 3 as far as synthetics go and it's always "dirty". However, if you look at a smaller sample of the oil it's not as "dark" as it looks while coming out of the drain hole. I fully understand how the synthetics can go for many more miles and not break down but no matter what oil you use, it's going to get contaminated in an "unsealed" motor. The primary and tranny oil always comes out looking like it just came out of the bottle...almost. Just me but I will continue to change engine oil at 2,500 - 3,000 regardless of what I use....because I know for sure that it is always being contaminated.
Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003
Steve,
I use to have similar thoughts when I first started using Amsoil synthetics back in 1981, but what changed my mind was oil analysis reports of my used oil. I found out that even when oil looked nasty that it was still doing it's job and had a lot of life left in it. The engines were wearing at a very low rate and by changing the oil more often than necessary all I was doing was padding the pockets of big oil. If you studied the additive chemistry that goes into all oil you would see that many of your concerns are taken care of through chemicals and leaving filtration to take care of the big things so to speak. I can go into this further at a later date if you need more convincing, but I need to get on my bike and do some riding in the nice weather we are having right now.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
LittleBear said:
Medicfl1,
Just so you know it's
5k motor
10k primary
20k trans
with syn3
per Harley
Is this somewhere on Harley's site?