V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I changed the oil and filter on my '03 FXD a few days ago. I let it drain (warm) for about thirty minutes, put on the filter and poured in three quarts of H-D oil as recommended (first change) by my non-Harley Harley shop manager. My oil level now shows at the upper mark cold and about 1/4" - 3/8" above the upper mark when warm. Why is this? Do I need to drain some oil? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
You may have not got all the oil out, I would drop some.I would think if you didn't you would see more leaks in the weeks to come. I also would go by the cold mark as all the oil is in one place at this time.

·
Registered
194 Posts
trooper FYI, my Fatboy is brand new and when warmed up, my oil level is ~1\4" above the top mark. This is how it was delivered to me. So far it's been ok. But it's been fairly cold out when I do get a chance to ride it. Only got 190 miles on it so far.....weather sucks.

Did you by chance remember what the oil level was before you changed it? If it was as the manual shows, I'd probably drain some out to be safe. Good Luck

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went ahead and drained out about six ounces. The level is now about 1/8" below Full Hot. I finally got out my owner's manual...it shows full cold at the halfway mark between Add and Full Hot. It was at the Full Hot mark before changing. I'm not sure how it could have held any significant amount of old oil since it was warm when changed and I left the plug out and filter off until it stopped dripping...at least thirty minutes.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Belive it. The oil passageways / lines do not drain nor will the oil pump. The oil "film" left in the engine also adds a few oz. Nothing to worry about, the factory specs are for a new engine that never had any oil in there. I always fill the new oil filter before I put it on.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. I appreciate the information and tips. Guess I'll know not to just dump three quarts in it next time.....about 2 3/4 quarts and check from there.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BHBandit said:
Did you stand the bike upright to drain the oil? I always add 3 qt's for an oil change
Um......no. Left it on the side stand. That looked like the low side because of where the plug is. Should I have stood it up?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts