V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JimmyK, Hippo or anyone interested, what do you know of this oil temperature guage kit? http://www.wallyscycleworld.com/onlinespecials.asp
(The one in the center)
It looks like a great idea. Ambient air temp is a waste anyway.
I just ordered it and am going to give it a try.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Looks like a good idea. Lot better than one down at your heel that you can't even see. I'd order one too but already have a cooler with thermostat so there isn't much more I could do about it anyway.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you want to know the oil temperature replacing the ambient air temp gauge with a oil temp gauge is a good option. People have been doing it forever.

The only concern I would have with that particular sender is that I would like to see how far the tip of the sender sticks into the oil feed gallery on the touring bikes.
They screw into the blind plug next to the oil drain plug, and there is a horizontal and a vertical oil feed gallery there, behind the blind pipe plug.

You would think they took a transmission pan and checked it out, but I don't know that. Personally prefer to make my own kits with VDO gauges and smaller senders. On my personal bikes I don't pay attention to gauges and just ride them by feel.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks for the info. I'm not sure about this unit I bought yet so I'll have to take a look at it when it gets here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was just about to buy the same kit. Please post your feelings about the gauge when you install it. My only concern is that the markings on the gauge are not equally incremental.

Ron

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like it might have pipe thread. If it has 3/8 pipe thread it goes in the blind plug and if it has 1/2 x 20 it goes in the drain plug, but I believe what looks like a magnet to you probably is the sensing element.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It could also easily be spaced out with a 3/8 male/female fitting. It really doesn't matter all that much what it reads, it's more the relative readings you get under different conditions and that's the coolest point in the oil system anyway or real close to it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure on who makes the guage but I suspect VDO. VDO definitely made the sensor as it is stamped on it. It is very close to looking like stock H-D and the directions have you installing the sensor where the plug is next to the drain plug. I'm going to install it tomorrow and I'll let you know how it comes out.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I installed the unit yesterday and had the chance to try it out today. Well, it works. The installation was a little scary when I removed the fairing - more stuff back there than I expected and it was a little hard to get my fingers in there to install the guage but all went well. I was suprised to see how long it takes for the engine (oil) to get up to operating temperature. It eventually got up between 210 and 230. I'm not sure how accurate it is but then again, I'm not sure how accurate any of the guages are. The fuel guage reads 1/2 tank and before you know it, it is on empty. It appears that it does not interfere with any of the oil feeds that I could tell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On a scale from 1 to 10 how difficult and irritating was the installation? Would you do it again? Which directions did you run the sender wire, under the tank, or along the frame? Thanks for your assistance, I think I am about to install the same kit so that I can monitor the oil temp.

Ron

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've been looking for this very thing as well. What a great idea. I wonder where the sensor goes? Harley's digital dip stick gauge is cool, but I like to be able to check my temp without having to push a button. And I would rather spend a hundred clams on the in dash gauge verses the digital dip stick.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry if I ramble on here but I'm trying to cover all bases

I would say it was about a 3 to 4 in difficulty installing and only because it's a little tricky getting your fingers in there to install the brace that holds the guage in, I dropped the washer and nut numerous times. If you dont have a stereo, it will probably be easier (more room). Other than that, it went smoothly. It took me about two hours start-to-finish.

Before you put it in, take the stock bulb out of the original ambient temp guage and either use that bulb in the new guage or remove the yellow rubber sleeve that goes on the bulb and put it on the new guage's bulb. I didn't do that at first and at night, the oil temp guage was noticably a whiter color.

The temperature sensor goes where the blind plug is right next to the oil drain plug. I couldn't get the plug out with an allen wrench and had to use the ratchet set I have. Be ready to put the sender plug in though when you remove the blind plug 'cause oil will come out. When installing the sender I turned it by hand until it got a little snug and then used a 3/4 open end wrench from there. I read about the oil feeds being there so I didn't tighten it all the way, instead I put the threads in about as much as the blind plug goes in and it doesn't leak oil at all.

I ran the sender wire under the right side of the frame until I got to where the clutch crosses over and then I zip-tied it to the clutch cable.

When I tried it out the first time, I didn't realize it takes about 15-20 minutes for the oil to warm up while driving but it works great. I definately would do this again as it is well worth it I beleve. My next feat will be installing a H-D oil cooler.... stay tuned. (Just kidding)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks for the great info on the oil temp guage! As far as your oil cooler, I bought the Jagg cooler and adapter kit for my electra glide. Install was a snap and I also used the Harley thermostat which allows oil to the cooler at 180 degrees. The thermostat is manufactured by Jagg as well.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe I'll go with Jagg. Does Jagg make the H-D oil cooler? It sure looks like it and is alot cheaper..

·
Registered
240 Posts
The Harley cooler is made by Lockhart. This cooler is NOT easy to tap into your oil supply. In fact a new cover for yur oil plumbing is required for the install. I investigated this and for the time, effort and longer oil lines, it wasn't worth it. The Jagg oil filter adapter taps into your oil supply at the filter and requires no "T" connectors in your oil lines. This adapter can be used with the Lockhart cooler as well. The Jagg cooler mounts either on the left down tube or under the voltage regulator. Pretty slick setup.
Again...Thanks for the oil temp guage info

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the oil cooler info.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
HarlyJoel,

Thanks for gauge installation experience. I have a 02 RKC, I want to put a gauge on. 50s Boy plans to have by summer's end a dual gauge holder to mount on the rear rocker cover. That's where I plan to put my temp and pressure gauge.

http://www.50sboy.com/pages/gaugemount.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts