V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Oil Temp gauge for Christmas, nice, however, what is the ideal operating temp. range for your oil. Now I got a gauge I will be looking to make sure that the oil does not get too hot etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
Don't even worry about it 'till it gets up in the 250 degree range - and that's not even knowing what kind of bike you ride!

I'm assuming an E-Glide. The oil temp guage is fun to watch - you will be somewhat amazed how far you have to ride until it's truely warmed up. I call mine "warmed up" when I get the oil up to 190 or so, and it almost never exceeds 230 (except in Sturgis - damn!)

Another benifit I found is that I'm reluctant to do any hot rodding until I know it's up to normal temp - probably helps in the long run.

Got small hands to do the install? LOL

Cold Rider

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's also neat to keep a mental record of the temp swings depending on what you're doing, in town, on highway, hot day, cold day, etc. Then when you make a mod, you can see if it makes any difference. Mine runs 150 to 220 extremes. Most often it hovers around 190-200. 2002 Deuce.

·
Registered
250 Posts
With the SE Tuner, I've measured knock retard when the font head temp is 170-190 or so. The knock retard disappears at 210-230 with the same calibration. That tells me the delphi EFI runs best at 210-250 at the head. Under 200 you should not make tuning changes to the EFI calibration. The front head temp sensor is going to read higher than what you get with the oil temp gauge.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a SE Roadglide that runs about 230 which is normal and has been to about 280 in the heat. Switched to 60 weight as recommend in the manual. That helped but not alot. Just changed to Amsoil synthetic and it dropped about 15 degrees, sounds and runs much better. Eliminated the need for the oil cooler.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey Tuseter - have you ever read the front head surface temp near the knock senser probe with one of those infared guns that you point the red dot at what you want to read and compare the temp it gives you with what the probe is telling you?

Just wondering.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had my dipstick pop out on me on a ride home. Oil exploded on my leg and I wondered how that occurred. I made sure the dipstick was secure before I left....what caused that? My '97 FLSTS has not breather....

·
Registered
171 Posts
If your only going to keep the bike a couple of years don't worry about it.
Running 250 oil temp won't show any problems till later on down the road and then it won't be yours.

·
<{{{><
170 Posts
Socal88, if the oil tank is over serviced, the pressure can build up and maybe do that.
My $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've seen that also, an overservice tank in the heat will cause the oil dip stick to push out and overflow. Had a friend do that waiting in a parade one hot summer day. Looked like his Heritage puked, oil everywhere.

·
Registered
49 Posts
230 degrees normal

Page 76 of the 2003 Owners Manual for Touring models . Under the title of "Oil Pressure Guage" states, normal operating temperature is 230 degrees

·
Registered
61 Posts
my Oil temp gauge used to work its way out because it was a loose fit I just got some O rings that would fit around the seal for a tighter fit no problems!

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Re: 230 degrees normal

nrthpole said:
Page 76 of the 2003 Owners Manual for Touring models . Under the title of "Oil Pressure Guage" states, normal operating temperature is 230 degrees
Book???? Are we reading the damned book now? LOL, amazing bit of information, isn't it?:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts