V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a plug in the filter mount on my TC88 bagger right next to the factory pressure sending unit. Does anybody know if this can be used to connect a temp sender? What is this plug for? Thanks for any info..

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
csoday said:
Casting plug, leave it alone.
Thanks for the info. Do you know if I can use the oil pan drain plug hole or the plug next to it for the temp sender?

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Not sure with your particular bike model but that probably is also a casting plug. Are you sure you want to be monitoring oil temp in the case. I use the Oil Cap temp guage in the tank.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Peacekeeper said:
Thanks for the info. Do you know if I can use the oil pan drain plug hole or the plug next to it for the temp sender?
The plug on the pan next to the drain plug is where the sending unit for the Rodger McEwan gauge installs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used the flush plug next to the sump drain plug, to install the oil temp sender. Works fine. You may need to use a pipe reducing bushing depending on the thread size of your sender. The Roger McEwan kit comes with such a bushing.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info!!!!! Now I know what hole to put it in. :roflback:

But seriously, I have read on this board where folks have put senders in the wrong places and obstructed oil flow, that would be a bad thing. Thanks again.
:thanks:

·
Registered
351 Posts
oil temp gauge

I bought the in-dash (4 an 04 FLHT) oil temp gauge from Wallys last winter & had the dealer install it. they used the plug under the motor like the thread above describes... only problem is when it is cold out, the sender is mechanical so it will not read accurately...the gauge never reaches actual temp due to cold air cooling fluid in sender. I believe H-D now offers an in-dash oil temp gauge but it too might be mechanical. In the warmer weather, the gauge works fine but it takes a while to register the temp..(heat up)
If I had it to do over again, I would look at AutoMeter gauges...electric rather than mechanical...
http://www.autometer.com/
just my 2 cents!

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
FLHT Steve, can you explain how an oil temp sending unit can be mechanical and what kind of fluid it contains. I have never heard of or seen a T.S. unit that was mechanical.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I can't explain it but check the autometer site & give them a call... they explained it to me that the mechanical uses some kind of fluid in a tube that goes to the gauge while the electrical unit does not & registeres the temp immediately..no lag time.....
I'm no expert, I'm just telling you what they told me when I asked them why my mechanical gauge will not reach operating temp in the cold & also, why it takes a while to reach operating (230) temp even in warm weather....

·
Registered
351 Posts
here's the site

http://www.autometer.com/tech_faq_answer.aspx?sid=1&qid=4

How do I install my mechanical temperature gauges and capillary tubing?

Now, we can briefly discuss also how the gauge itself works. What we do is run a hollow copper tube from the end of the line (commonly referred to as the sender "bulb") all the way into the gauge, then cover it with a protective plastic/rubber-like covering. This line is filled with ether gas, so if you have ever broken or cut one and get a funny smell or some white fluid on you, don't worry, it is not harmful. When the sender is in the intake, head, trans or oil pan (or whatever you are monitoring) the temperature heats the ether gas inside the tubing. This makes the gas expand and thus "push" the meter that is inside the gauge. This moves the pointer and shows you the temperature. However, if this hollow copper tube is kinked or doubled-over itself, the line will be shut and the gauge will not work. This moves the pointer and shows you the temperature. However, if this hollow copper tube is kinked or doubled-over itself, the line will be shut and the pressure would not reach the gauge, so you would never see the gauge reflect any temp readings at all. This is also true if the line is ever cut or the sender bulb is removed; once the ether gas escapes the line, there is nothing to "push" against the meter to register any temperature readings at all.

Electrical gauges do not use the capillary tube....

·
Registered
927 Posts
I had one of those capillary tube gauges in an old Datsun, somehow it started leaking oil up the tube and into the car. Never again. That's why I don't want to put one of those manifold-mount gauges on the bike, I don't want the big tube going up. If it's not electric, skip it.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going with the electric sender. I was going to mount an autometer gauge off of the rocker box, but Wimmer Machine is awful proud of those mounts. I need to find another mounting solution or another manufacturer of rocker box mounts. Their prices are nutz.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Thanks Steve,
After reading all that, I believe that guage would be fine in a shop enviroment monitering equipment but not on a motorcycle. I'll stick with electronic.

·
Registered
351 Posts
CSODAY, I know my original post must have been confusing...glad Autometer could clear it up!

I have the Wally's oil temp gauge...(Roger McEwan gauge)

it works fine & other than the slow reaction time & the effect of cold air in the Winter making the gauge inaccurate, I like it. I would go with the Autometer electric if I ever replace the 1 I have or on my next bike.

Anybody know what type of gauge the H-D oil temp is?? Like I said, I believe H-D offers an in-dash oil temp gauge now.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
The oil temp gauge that HD sells is a pretty good setup. The pickup connects into the oil return line from cam chest to oil tank.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dragforce said:
I discovered this old thread when doing a search. I too think that wimmer machine is too proud of their work. I could not force myself to buy their rocker box mount. However, finding mounts for gauges is not easy.

What mount did you end up with?

Thanks.

I ended up buying the Roger mcCawen gauge that mounts in the fairing and replaces the factory air temp gauge. It taps into the oil pan and works like a charm. It is identical to the factory gauge and works like a charm. Wimmer is krazy for what they want for their stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts