V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I took a short ride today-80 mile round trip. 35 miles of easy back roads, 45 miles of open highway. Ambient temp around 90. I have a 05 FLHT with 40mm CV, 204 cams, VH true duals, SE Ign Module. On the trip there, I saw 240 on my oil temp guage-sender in the pan. We took the highway home and running 80 on the highway, she climbed right up 290 plus. I slowed to 55-60 and she eased off to about 260. I know there has been lots of discussion about temp with the FI bikes, but I've not encountered such with the carbed bikes. Recently, I changed the mufflers from VH ovals to some modified stock pipes (the wife complained the ovals were too loud) and wonder if this might be the problem. Unfortunately, I installed the mufflers the same time I installed the guage, so I don't have a 'before' and 'after'. What say you, oh great ones?

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
what exactly is modified on your "stock" muffler?

have you ever thought about having an AFR sniffer put up the pipes on a dyno? Has the jetting ever been dialed in? And would the SE ignition module be one that is adjustable?

I'm guessing the heads are stock and the compression is also.

and I'm not a great one. ;)

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, I did not build this one. The previous owner had little mechanical ability, so was not able to provide much in the way of details. I went to my local HD dealer and showed them the ignition module. They were unable to cross the number to anything they have on file. The part# has an 04 suffix, but it is not listed in my 04 parts cataloge. The mufflers appear to run straight through with the exception of a plug that has holes drilled in it. I was wondering if the increased back pressure is causing the heat buildup? The carb has a 48 idle and 190 main. Previously it had a 185 main. The needle was stock and I raised it with 2 shims-about 040" Driveability is very good, but I do have pinging in the lower RPM's especially 2-up. Pinging has always been an issue since I bought it. The vac port for the charcoal cannister was left open, so I corrected that. I have fixed a ton of small items that has improved drivability considerably, but I still am battling ping and heat issue.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
you need to figure out if your ignition module is adjustable or programmable. From what you provided, I cannot be sure of which one you have. If it is one that can be adjusted, get your biked tuned by a reputable, knowledgeable tuner. If it isn't adjustable, replace it with a good one that can be adjusted. Then go get it tuned. That will cure your pinging and should lower your temp.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The module is not the adjustable one, but it is programmable. I recently bought the SE Ignition Programmer kit and have yet to try it out. I was trying to rectify some of the more obvious issues like jetting and vac leaks before I got to that. As the old techs say, fix the easy stuff first.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Was the performance OK? Dd it feel like it's dragging its feet? If so check the oil level immediately after a ride, could be sumping as well, but first things first. Check plugs for lean condition/detonation etc. If the module came as part of a kit, you will not find that part # in the SE kit, try Zanotti's website and check the validity of the part number.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are actually 2 different numbers on the module and when my dealer punched them in, they both came up as discontinued with no other information. I was hoping to find out more about the module other than 'discontinued'. That is why I got the programmer. I suppose that should be my next point of attack. My old EVO never got over 210 even after riding 2up for hours in 95 deg heat. This thing parked just under 300 deg. after 20 miles of 70-80 mph, flat open road, 2 up. No ping on the top end, just below 3000 rpm. I think I'm missing something fairly obvious when a carbed bike is getting this hot.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
the pinging could be from a couple of things but most likely lean fuel and too much spark advance down low. The stock mufflers have a lot of back pressure and will restrict flow through the motor and tend to back the heat up too. Assuming everything else is okay when you ride it, it's more than likely the tune and the mufflers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts