V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago someone put an aftermarket oil temp gage in the spot where that ambient air temp is . I can't seem to find that thread. I was thinking of putting one in but don't know who makes it any info? saferiding rickpoco

·
Registered
903 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Harley Joel, thanks does it leak at all I remember it was in the drain plug. I was thinking about it for when I get stuck in traffic like I did at sturgis, I don't think an oil cooler works when you are standing still, next year in Milwaukee I will probably be sitting more than moving and I want to go to Sturgis again. Well at least with the gage I could shut the bike down if it got too hot. Maybe I will put them both in this winter. saferiding rickpoco

·
Registered
903 Posts
The oil temp guage sender goes where the blind plug is (the plug that has a hex fitting for an allen wrench). Its next to the oil drain plug. It hasn't leaked a drop. I get stuck in summer traffic all season long and since I put the oil cooler on the temp has stayed around 180 on cooler days, and 210 on hot ones. Before the cooler it would be 230 constantly and after sitting, up to 260. Becasue of convection the cooler helps even when sitting still by making it take longer to go up to a dangerous temperature. I've sat in traffic with the temp going no higher than 230.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The oil temp guage is a nice addition. You'll find yourself watching it every ride - it will tell you when your bike is fully warmed up before you do any hotrodding.

Cold Rider

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Harley joel and Cold rider looks like I will be hit by HD again hundred dollars, hundred dollars, I think I will wait till winter. Which is the best oil cooler? safe riding Rickpoco

·
Registered
903 Posts
The H-D is the one I bought and its nice. It's made by Lockhart but I couldn't find anyone that sold it for the my year and model. The Jagg I'm told is good too but I wouldn't recommend the off-set filter adapter since I wasted $130 and had no luck installing it without it leaking all over. The H-D install went flawlessly and took about the same amount of time as the off-set adapter took.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rickpoco, my '86 has a stock oil temp gauge, with a sender built into the drain plug, and the erlier oil bag mounted on the right side of frame. I also use a "candy stick" oil dipstick type thermometer. The factory gauge usually reads 25° degrees cooler than the dip stick gauge. Same spread if I use another dipstick gauge from a different bike. Replaced the sending unit a couple times now, but always the 25° spread.

While stuck in Sturgis traffic by Ft Meade one evening a couple weeks ago, motor got pretty toasty, even started smoking out the exhaust some, and the factory oil temp gauge read 220° degrees, and the dipstick read 244° degrees. I shut it off, and kicked back on the ditchline for a spell. Lots of other riders were doing the same, some pushing their scoots along the shoulder. Sound familiar?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cruzencoach, yes I got stuck twice once going into sturgis and one time going into custer park that was down hill so everyone shut down and just rolled up to the gate, funny very quiet. In sturgis I think it was monday night I could really feel the heat so I shut down and pushed. For my bike the parts guy said all I can get is the digital dipstick model and I would rather have one with a pointer. Now you have me thinking, dip stick one and oil cooler. dipstick and no oil cooler, fairing one , fairing one and cooler. augh if the fairing one is that far off than the dipstick one would be a lot easier and maybe more realible in the long run. saferiding rickpoco

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
digital dipstick

Folks,
If you get the digital dipstick, make sure you get the latest "improved" version. (My dealer hangs the "old" version right next to the "new" version - part number is different, though) I went through 2 of the older ones before giving up on them (they came apart or just quit working - warranty replacements) and just put the money on an oil cooler. When I heard that Harley had improved it, I tried it once more. After a few months, this one seems to be doing ok.
I did have to grease the mechanism (balls which move inward when dipstick is rotated to remove it) so that I could turn it, and keep from chewing up the inside of the oil fill. (aluminum particles into oil pan)
With the grease, it comes out ok, but if it hangs up again, it comes out the last time.
Re the fairing gage, I'm hearing that the sensor should be spaced out a bit so that it does not stick quite so far into the oil feed, possibly restricting oil to the pump. Sounds like those who have installed it are having no problem with this though. Think a fairing gage is in the near future for me, but wanted it to match the other gages "perfectly." Think it's missing a "chrome" bit on the bezel?? Don't want to add the chrome dress-up bezels to the gages to make them all match. Maybe just imagining it's different. What's your observations on the gage matching the rest?
Good rides,
Don

·
Registered
206 Posts
I Have Both Temp Gauges...

I have the dash mounted oil temp gauge, and the LCD dipstick (wouldn't have gotten the LCD dipstick if I knew the dash mounted model was available).

They both read the exact same, AFTER the dash gauge catches up. On the heat-up, it is roughly 20-30 degrees lower. Once stablized, they read the same. I was surprised, and impressed.

The stock bezel matches perfectly the existing gauges well, and it even has that little red print on the bottom of the gauge face, as an abvious attempt to mimmick the H-D gauges. It looks completely stock. Another poster has indicated the chrome bezel aftermarket kit will fit it...

The installation was a little more difficult than a 3-4 rating IMHO, during the actual gauge installation on the inside of the fairing. Tight fit. And the oil temp gauge backing bracket, which must be used, did NOT fit entirely properly. The threaded stud it attaches to is a stud where they instruct you to connect the ground wire first, so there is not enough thread to completely tighten the backing bracket. Then, the backing bracket wants to slip off the lip on the fairing slightly, making this condition a little worse. It can still be installed OK and does fit tight enough, just not properly. I would still install it, having it to do over...

I installed the sensor w/o any spacers. No oil pressure change, or other observed problems. The sender does have a protruding element, though.

Would really be more comfortable if Hippo, or other expert could bless the senser.

My opinion, worth what you paid for it...

Mitch

Mitch

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I will get the fairing gauge and oil cooler, The parts guy at the local dealer said they have only installed one but the guy likes it and it works fine. That digital one must have a battery, right? It seems like there would be way too much vibration.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Oil coolers

I installed the Jagg oil coolers with offset adapters on both bikes and didn't have any trouble at all. No leaks and they both work perfectly. I liked using the offsets better than the H-D method of installing their cooler.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Fairing oil temp gage

Thanks Mitch,
Knowing that it's a match, I'll definately have to get one. Glad to know it and the digital agree.
I will find a "spacer" to use when installing the sensor, though. I saw a picture which showed how far the sensor stuck into the oil line, and it was pretty far, though it was difficult to tell how much of the passage it took up due to diameter. If you've installed one you know this, though.
Good rides,
Don

1 - 16 of 16 Posts