V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed an oil temp gage tonight and it took about 4 hours. I never had a batwing apart so I took it slow. Pulled the Air temp gage, and removed the chrome trim ring and installed on the oil temp gage. Cut the orange and black wires IAW the included instruction sheet and installed the supplied crimp rings. I even put some heat shrink over the crimps. Put black electrical tape over the Air temp connector. Getting the gage in place is a true pain in the butt. I thought I could use the existing back plane that holds the air temp gage in the console, but noooo. Had to pull all of the wires I just installed on the back of the oil temp gage off, pull back through the console and put the adapter supplied with the kit on. As I was tightening that one up, I realized I installed it wrong. The metal cup should have been down not up. Had to undo the fasteners, and dropped the 11/32 socket and could not find it. Got a second 11/32 socket and reinstalled the gage back plane correctly this time. Got everything buttoned up and went for a small test ride. Pulled out of the drive way and heard the socket fall out of the bike. Stopped picked up socket and continued test ride. Gage gets power, light comes on, but temp never went above 110 degrees.

Could I have connected something incorrectly, or do I need to get out for a good ride to get the oil temp up? The Cat and the motor were generating some good heat, I assumed when they got warm I would see and oil temp rise above 110.

Troubleshooting tips would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Need to ride at least 20 miles before you will get an accurate reading. Other possibility is sensor. Check to see if it shorts out. I went thru two gauges before getting one that works but now, I know just have to ride a bit to get it going.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doc,

Rode to work this am, and the temp did go up. I am having a hard time believeing that my oil is running at about 200 degrees. I will have to check the temps at the oil pan when I get home to see what the difference is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same concerns and issues with the reading of the HD oil temp gauge. Mine rarely gets above 200 degrees. However, the other day, I rode 40 miles up a steep mountain road with outside air temps in the 70's and the gauge showed 280 degrees. My take is that oil sending unit in the crankcase is near the front and maybe that location it may not show a true reading. I don't know but it seems to me the dash mounted oil temp gauge reads lower than the actual oil temperature. One note, I had another brand dash mounter oil temp gauge and it read near 280 Plus all the time, so it was replaced thinking it was way off. So, I replaced it with the HD model thinking it was reading too high of a temp. As I said, the HD temp gauge reads much lower. Don't know what to think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts