V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1990 FXST. sent the motor out to get rebuilt and costed me just over $6000. This better make me happ
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been thinking how to get that dam heater out from under my seat. Why can’t I convert a water cooling system to oil and the radiator be the supply tank.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
I’ve been thinking how to get that dam heater out from under my seat. Why can’t I convert a water cooling system to oil and the radiator be the supply tank.
I don't think you will be able to have the flow the engine needs going through the small radiator tubes.

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
i dont get your plan,,, are going to eliminate the oil tank? no amount of home baked oil cooling system will drop the temp to a comfy to humans number

·
Registered
11,254 Posts
i dont get your plan,,, are going to eliminate the oil tank? no amount of home baked oil cooling system will drop the temp to a comfy to humans number
I seem to remember a bike that oil was in the frame, might have been a chopper.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I seem to remember a bike that oil was in the frame, might have been a chopper.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk
I think Bourget's ( spelling?) bikes did the oil in the Frame.... Bourget's bikes were used in the Expendable's movies.... Some trivia this AM...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Starting in 1971, the Triumph Bonneville and TR6 had oil in frame vice a separate tank. The BSA twins also had oil in frame models starting at that time also. I had a 1970 Bonneville then which still had the oil tank.

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
borgets did have oil in the frama,,,, I had a few to take care of at the shop,,,, my biggest complaint with the oil in frame customs was,, there were less than 2 quarts of oil,, for those big performance 113 S&S engines most of them had,,, doesnt seem like enough.. to me

·
Registered
1990 FXST. sent the motor out to get rebuilt and costed me just over $6000. This better make me happ
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think you will be able to have the flow the engine needs going through the small radiator tubes.
The radiator hoses are the same size. It’s the high speed I am worried about it can run dry and do a reverse affect. I talked to a Harley mechanic and he said the same thing and it can work. I wish I had my other 2 bikes to try this on. I just put a lot into the rebuilt on the motor like $5000 and I don’t wanna kill my baby

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Get a Dyna or touring bike with the oil in the oil pan. Don't know how much that's gonna help with the heat though. My RK seems just as hot as my Heritage did.
Maybe those heat shield gizmos help? Dunno, haven't tried them.

Sent from my coal burning bag phone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
A radiator is designed to work with coolant @ less than 24lbs of pressure. And it would be a huge radiator to hold enough oil to keep a vtwin fed properly. Not to mention all the mickey mousing the plumping would take.

If you feel the need to move the tank, then something mounted down low on the front down tubes would be what I was looking at. Maybe have a welder fab something to hold three quarts and closely tuck into the space available.

Just to stop feeling the heat, one of those leather mid frame heat flap things would be a lot less work.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
The radiator hoses are the same size. It’s the high speed I am worried about it can run dry and do a reverse affect. I talked to a Harley mechanic and he said the same thing and it can work. I wish I had my other 2 bikes to try this on. I just put a lot into the rebuilt on the motor like $5000 and I don’t wanna kill my baby
I'm not talking about the hoses. I'm thinking about the skinny little tubes with the fins that the coolant goes thru to remove the heat. The coolant is quite a bit thinner than the oil. I don't know if the oil is going to go thru the tubes fast enough to feed the motor. To me, it would be a restriction in the oil flow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts