V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else's oil tank really burn the inside of your leg while sitting at a stoplight? Mine has done it since I bought it, figured thats the way it was. Really felt it today (80deg out and sunny), so much so that I had to keep my foot up on the peg while stopped at red lights. Thanks,

Scott
Honolulu, HI

02 883 XLH**forward controls/teardrop mirrors/white bros lowering kit/Cycle Shack slip-on's/smoked lens covers/HD grips...soon to come: SE Air Cleaner and Badlander seat.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Kags...good to hear from you again. About the heat problem. Before the bike is ever started up, I remove the dipstick to check the oil level. Seems fine there, as I can see the oil level almost right up to the oil tank spout. After warming up the engine and once again checking the oil level, it is always lower than when I started almost to the add mark. I do not add oil at this time because it seems to me that if I add more, it it will just overflow or leak out of the dipstick when the engine cools. This has always been a confusing subject for me because the FM does not really tell you where the level should be when cold. Lastly, the temps here were higher than I thought....got up to 90 today! This leads me to think that maybe I should be running a different oil in the Sporty. Currently I am using 20W50...should I be running maybe the Straight 50W or 60W? Temps here during the winter rarely dip below 65 or 70. Appreciate your comments/suggestions.

Scott

·
BMF
87 Posts
I have the same problem with mine. Especially sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Rscotts, the 20w50 should be fine. Shounds like you have the right amount of oil (if not too much) so thats not a problem. Next on the list would be to check the plugs. If your running to lean the bike will run hotter. If the plugs are running white your too lean. Jet for the tanish color. I would suggest a temp gauge for a peace of mind, and a oil cooler if your temps worry you to much. The cooler I run is not a high end type, it was only 40 bucks and gave me a moddest 10 deg drop. Check your plugs and Merry Christmas!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips Kags. Just out of curiosity I pulled the plugs last night and they look great, more so than I thought they would because of the Slip-on's. The plug color looked tan, with no soot, oil or carbon build-up. The other thing I was thinking about, while at work, was the length of the stoplights here in Hawaii. The lights here can sit on red for a really long, long time, giving the sensation of a really hot tank. I do plan on changing the oil sometime this week, just in case the oil has broken down some from the heat. Thanks again to all for your replies.

P.S. yes, I do plan on getting an oil temp gauge very soon!

Scott

·
Registered
312 Posts
Big twins do it too, I always thought it was the heat off the rear jug. I just keep my right foot on the floorboard at long lights. My Heritage feels like it would cook you if you had to keep your leg down for long.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, got home after work today, lots of stop and go traffic with plenty of long red lights to really heat things up, and immediately broke out a couple of thermometers to check the oil temp (was really curious). The temp was 180 Deg! Temp in Hawaii today around 85 Deg. This seems like an acceptable oil temperature to me, but wait there's more........Drained the old oil, put in some new, warmed the bike up, rechecked the oil level and headed out for a 15 blast! Got back home and rechecked the oil temp. This time I got a reading of 170 Deg. Of course these temps only reflect the oil temperature in the tank and not whats in the engine. Anyway, I feel much better after this. Guess, I'll just have to deal with the hot oil tank on the inside of my leg! Still love the heck out of my Harley though!! Merry X-mas to all. Later's,

Scott

·
Registered
659 Posts
Scott - I found my Sporty to be very hot - I now have a soft tail and it throws out half the amount of heat the sportster did - I think it's just a characteristic of the bike.
BigG

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I think so too BigG.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts