V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received the Jan 03 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN). They are starting an update on oil that was done a couple of years ago. Ought to be informative.

They also have the start of a series on FLT models showing how to align front and rear tires to solve some of the high speed handling problems.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
My wife received this magazine today in the mail.. I'll check it out tonight.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
And what is "High Speed" handling problems? I've had the ole FatBoy up to 100 and it seemed stable enough on the freeway. Of course no way I will take the ole' girl around any windy's at speed, but as stated, she seems pretty stable....

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JFScheck said:
And what is "High Speed" handling problems? I've had the ole FatBoy up to 100 and it seemed stable enough on the freeway. Of course no way I will take the ole' girl around any windy's at speed, but as stated, she seems pretty stable....
High speed wobbles sometimes resulting in a tank slapper. As I said, it's a FLT problem not softails like your FatBoy. And it's not a widespread problem, but it has happened. Lots of reasons for it to happen other than front to read wheel alignment, like shocks, tire pressures, overloading, etc.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SIDEKICK said:
ED, I thought you were going to try to link synthetic oil with hi speed wobbles. My mistake!
Naw, I'm old and contrary but not that bad. Did think it was kind of unusual for both topics to show up in the same issue. Now that I think of it though, the bearing skate caused by synthetics could cause a high speed wobble.:D

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ed Y, presume the article doesn't applt ro road kings? I ride 85+ rather often and the front end isn't real "tight". I thought is was due to the 26 degree rake, plus rubber mounting ( on a king). Not really a wobble, just acts like it is thinking about it.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gbenner said:
Ed Y, presume the article doesn't applt ro road kings? I ride 85+ rather often and the front end isn't real "tight". I thought is was due to the 26 degree rake, plus rubber mounting ( on a king). Not really a wobble, just acts like it is thinking about it.
Yes, it does apply to Road Kings (they are part of the FLT family of bikes) although the wobble problem has generally shown up on Electra Glides probably because of the fairing. They are basically the same bike as far as frame, engine mounting, wheels, etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Alighment issue, Not just wobble

though the wobble is an effect on some bikes of the mis-alignment from front to rear. I'm waiting on the second article (and hopefully a laser level for Christmas) before I tackle this on my 02 FLHTCUI. There is definitely a problem with these bikes between the front and rear tires. The offset is noticeable riding behind my bike or looking at the tread marks going straight through puddles on a level parking lot.

The mis-alignment will also cause some tire wear issues and a difference in left and right turn handling characteristics. I'm not sure what effect the correction has on belt drive alignment and want to check that before I make any adjustments.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hippo posted this site in another forum. It lists the locations around the country that have a Computrack setup. Check it out, it may be the thing to do if there is one near you.

http://www.gmdcomputrack.com/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts