V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed a build on a 2000 TC88 B model. Installed S&S 575 gear to gear cam set up, big bore using S&S forged pistons, and upgraded valve springs and stem seals. The bike ran great for about 250 miles then suddenly all of the oil came pouring out of the breather, and I mean it emptied the oil tank.So, I pulled the top end down checked cylinders, honed for good measure, installed new piston rings after verifying proper ring gap, and reassembled, Same problem, once I get up to about 2500 RPM, out flows the oil. So, I checked the compression, it is 165PSI on both cylinders.
I removed the cam plate to inspect for a broken seal, all seals are ok, I replaced them anyway, however, upon inspecting the oil pump I noted the scavange pumps timing marks were not facing out, so I placed the scavange gearator with the timing marks out hwen installing. Not certain if reversed scavange gerator would create this issue.
Oil pump is back together and installed, I will test run tomorrow afternoon. I do not feel confident at this point. I really see nothing visable!! Any ideas out there? By the way, during the build the filters and breather flappers were replaced along with all seals and gaskets. This issue is wearing me out!:hmmm:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Ray galetti said:
I just completed a build on a 2000 TC88 B model. Installed S&S 575 gear to gear cam set up, big bore using S&S forged pistons, and upgraded valve springs and stem seals. The bike ran great for about 250 miles then suddenly all of the oil came pouring out of the breather, and I mean it emptied the oil tank.So, I pulled the top end down checked cylinders, honed for good measure, installed new piston rings after verifying proper ring gap, and reassembled, Same problem, once I get up to about 2500 RPM, out flows the oil. So, I checked the compression, it is 165PSI on both cylinders.
I removed the cam plate to inspect for a broken seal, all seals are ok, I replaced them anyway, however, upon inspecting the oil pump I noted the scavange pumps timing marks were not facing out, so I placed the scavange gearator with the timing marks out hwen installing. Not certain if reversed scavange gerator would create this issue.
Oil pump is back together and installed, I will test run tomorrow afternoon. I do not feel confident at this point. I really see nothing visable!! Any ideas out there? By the way, during the build the filters and breather flappers were replaced along with all seals and gaskets. This issue is wearing me out!:hmmm:
The dots on the gearators only have to be facing the same way but can be in or out it does not matte. Did you allign the oil pump by spinning the engine over or using special screws?

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil Issue

Yes, I turned the engine over, but I see no mention of alignment screws in my service manuals. I cannot vision where the screws would go! Can you fill me in on this?
Regards,
Ray

·
Registered
93 Posts
The bolts you refer to are the tapered alignment bolts used on the oil pumps and rocker shaft assemblys, you should be able to get them at the dealer. i would also use a new set of O rings when you put it back tgether.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oil Issue

I went back together with new seals. I still cannot vision where the alignment bolts are used! Do they go in the four mounting bolt holes for the oil pump?

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Roadster G could you send that info to me as well? a friend of mine is having the same problem and we want to fix it as well. Thanks
Larry
[email protected]

·
Registered
74 Posts
My two cents

The alignment screws are used temporally, in place of the regular bolts.
Once the other bolts are in and snug you remove them.

Something is restricting the flow back into the oil tank.
I would check the return and breather lines for a restriction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts