V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a 07 streetbob i had a 05 roadking do the same...im getting a little oil seeping from the air cleaner where it meets the housing ...its a cone style air cleaner like harley makes...any ideas thanks ,,,and no its not oil type cleaner....

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
i just took my air filter off my 08 bobber got the same thing around the two black tubes that feed back into the air intake. i think its blowback gasses that feed back into the air intake. kind of like a primary crankcase ventilation valve on a car or something is my guess.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Overfilling the crankcase can do this, make sure the oil level is correct ... and they all do it a bit ...

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I have always run mine 1/2 quart low and that appears to take care of the problem. When changing the oil I only add 3 1/2 quarts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep. 2.5 qts because you'll never get all the old out during a change. Capacity is 3 from the factory, but unless you split the cases or turn bike upside down, that's the only time you'll get it all out.

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
My '05 does it also. In fact, after a long ride I end up with little baked on oil specks on the rear pipe.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If your are filling to the top of the stick you are overfull due to the fact that about a half qt or so stays up in the motor.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
take a look at the Engine Breather Oil Collector in the VTwinMFG catalog.
I haven't tried it yet, but it is on "the list". Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also, In my experience riding the bike hard will cause it to puke oil.

Here is what you do:

Take the breather cover off and on the bottom of the inside, grab one of your wife's pantyliners, pull the adhesive strip and stick it on the bottom of the breather cover. It will catch the oil.

An old trick.

·
Registered
57 Posts
crankcase spooge (condensation & oil); they all do it. Not really a result of over oiling, rather just part of the crankcase ventilation system. On my Buell I rerouted mine away from air intake into a catch can from Jaz that I would drain occasionally. Rerouting keeps your air intake much cleaner

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey i have a 07 streetbob i had a 05 roadking do the same...im getting a little oil seeping from the air cleaner where it meets the housing ...its a cone style air cleaner like harley makes...any ideas thanks ,,,and no its not oil type cleaner....
Does your engine blow out sometimes, when performing a restart on a hot motor. I have never had motor oil misting on my 2006 FXDI. ( I am a happy camper. I had a 1991 XLH1200 that oil misted since day 1. I put an SE Intake on that used the stock cover. I used to roll up a section of Paper Shop towel and placed it in the bottom of the cover. That took care of any oil spray getting on the motor, exhaust, and oil bag for 750 to 1000 miles. ( Oil Misting ocured above 55 mph.)
When I visit the Race Shop or Dealership for group rides, I do not notice many bikes with misting issues on the Twin Cam motors. The Race Shop knows what needs to be done to allow better crankcase breathing when increasing Displacement. The larger the volume of air being pushed out crankcase the greater chance to propel oil out the breatherports.

·
Registered
243 Posts
This isn't something you do for a little oil mist, but if you ever need to remove the heads consider doing this. Any time I do a build on a twinkie, I bore and tap the head to accept the Evo style 1/2" breather bolts. The larger bore of these bolts seems to slow the speed of breather gases and has less oil cary-over. Guess that should seal the deal on everyone thinking I'm crazy

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I was into Buells, they would spooge oil a lot like this. Most riders just ran lines from the breather bolts to a catch can of some sort that collected the stuff. Kept oil & moisture off the engine and OUT of the intake charge. Works like a charm. Jaz makes a nice catch can.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts