V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just got home from a 20 mile ride and noticed that there was some small spaters of oil on the oil tank and just below the breather. I checked everything and it seems that it is coming from the breather. If you take your finger under the breather there is a fine coating of light red oil. This bike is 2002 Fatbot with fuel injection. I have a total of 80 miles on her. This is my first Harley and wanted to know if this sounds like a normal thing or a major problem.

Ride Safe

PJ

·
Registered
236 Posts
Congrats on the new ride.

Oil leakage sounds unusual to me. Have 1400 miles on my 2002 Deuce and have no oil (film) or dripage. Would expect my bike to have identical configuration to the fatboy with respect to intake. Are you sure it is RED colored or maybe dripping through red dust in the air cleaner? I haven't actually checked the color of the HD oil when new, but I wouldn't expect it to be red.

Let us know what you find out.

Cheers

B

·
0 Posts
Did you have the 'stage one' mods done by the dealer before you picked up the bike? If so, you may be seeing the red oil that the SE breather kit's K&N air filter is treated with. Makes quite a mess if the filter element is over-oiled...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boismier you hit it on the head. I called my dealer and talked to the head
wrench and he said that the filter may have too much oil applied. I came home from work and changed my clothes and went right to the garage. I pulled off the outside cover and there was a good amount of oil laying in the bottom of the cover. I took it all apart and cleaned all of the extra oil off of everything. I put my air compressor on a low pressure setting and blew out the air filter to get any extra oil out. Put it back together and took a small ride and there seems to have taken care of the problem.

Thanks for your input.

Ride Safe

PJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts