V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I am changing oil on an 08 FLSTC that I purchased last year. I have been with help fixing it up and getting it street ready. My question is I had to put a new oil tank on, what kind of oil should I put in now?? Harley says to put in their 50w20 regular. other people have stated put in a synthetic brand others have stated put in amsoil synthetic?? Also my fuel gauge that I got is broken the place I received it from is going to get me a new one. Is it worth it to put on or should I just chrome it out?? thanks all..

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
If you check out the other threads you will see this is a never ending debate and some people frown on asking this question again.

Basically if the bike has been running a dino oil, keeping on using a good dino oil is fine.

If you want to get more miles between changes and think synthetic may be better for the engine and environment then amsoil or mobil 1 may be right for you. (I went with mobil 1 after my last build).

For your fuel gauge question, I will go with saying "Chrome won't get you home" and add "especially if you are put of gas"...I don't know if those fancy FI models still have "reserve"...

rkc

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hi all I am changing oil on an 08 FLSTC that I purchased last year. ..., what kind of oil should I put in now??
Hi newbie.

Two suggestions regarding the oil question:
1) Go scan thru the Engine Oils and Lubrication forum. Read the sticky topics at the top, scroll thru the various strings.
2) Play with the Search function, especially the Advanced part.

Most any oil question you can think up has been covered; if you come up with a new one, post it in the above forum so everyone can see it.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
766 Posts
:beatdh:

Just like the rule about posting to the classifieds where you need to have 10 posts first, there should be a rule about making any post with the word "oil" in it without having made 100 other posts.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I was being nice. I keep getting flamed (in return) by those who think the same questions should be re-posted new daily....:confused:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I sure hope this post isn't real. If someone is making a bike "Steet Ready", wouldn't they already know something about the oil.

One time in band camp....

Buy the pink gas cap. Thank your Wisconsin teachers for your pathetic writing skills.

·
Registered
92 Posts
well since hes a FNG.welcome to the site.like others have said there alot of discusions on this topic.hope you find a reasonable answer to your question.never mind some of the responces you get we a few jerkoffs here.one reason i dont post much .oh one more thing they WILL give you false advice to be careful!:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
A safe default is to use 20W-50 H-D 360 dino or H-D Syn3, depending on if you want to run conventional or synthetic. Both are good oils. My personal choice would be the dino.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Synthetic is the way to go

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thank God someone asked the oil question as that has NEVER been asked on ANY freakin Harley forum anywhere on the internet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts