V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1983 XLH100 it hasnt been on the road since 1983. It hasent been started in 4 years. I got it running the other day and took it down the road. It sounded good. But I dont know about oil tanks? I am used to bikes that the oil goes in the engine. How do I know if the oil system is working right? Should I test it somehow?

·
Registered
11 Posts
did you change all the fluids, check the brake and clutch lines? how are the tires?

the easy way to do this was check the oil after you changed it and ran it for a couple of minutes. After all that time, the initial carbon would have made it discolor quickly...

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
GoldFever said:
I just got a 1983 XLH100 it hasnt been on the road since 1983. It hasent been started in 4 years. I got it running the other day and took it down the road. It sounded good. But I dont know about oil tanks? I am used to bikes that the oil goes in the engine. How do I know if the oil system is working right? Should I test it somehow?
Ya gonna sell it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did change all the fluids. The tires are nice. It was up off the ground. I will run it for a few more minutes tommarow and see if it is discolored. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
GoldFever said:
No way I am not going to sell it. I waited my whole life to get a HD.
Sorry, missunderstood, Thought you had it sitting around 20 years, Good luck with it! Ride safe and have fun!

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
There should be an oil return line from the motor to the oil tank. If you can't see the oil squirting back into the tank while running you can always disconnect one of the lines above a drip pan and start it. One line is suction too the motor and one is the return line.
If nothing else,,,the sides of the oil tank will get warm from the hot returned oil.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks alot. I tried all the methods and it seems to be working good. It did get warm to the touch to. Thanks for the help. I am new to HD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts