V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 117” FLHTCUI, -2021 107” FLHC
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the OEM 2007 pump ,cam plate,hyd tensioner upgrade on a 2005 ULTRA. As you can see the scavenge side gear rotors totally shattered taking out cam plate and pump housing.This pump and associated parts had roughly 11,500 miles on it and was the only used parts that went into a 117” upgrade. Thankfully all pieces recovered and nothing went through engine. anyone else seen a failure like this? BIke puts out 125 tq, 124 hp.
The bike developed an idle problem while on a ride and was I able to get it home. After talking to a local wrench I decided to change out IAC motor. Still wouldn’t idle. I though it was a tune problem, so I took it to the tuner who had just recently tuned it after the rebuild. He adjusted the throttle plates a bit, got it running ok, but began to assume possible ECM failure . I picked it up and was a mile from his shop when CPSEnsor failed. I again left it at tuners shop. After CPS replacement tuner started it and realized how labored the engine was, pulled plug on crankcase and drained 1 3/4 qts out.
Photograph Black Automotive tire Font Bicycle part

·
Super Moderator
3,427 Posts
If the crank runout is good then there is a very good possibility a piece of foreign material (metal) found its way into the pump.It doesn't take a lot to bind up the rotors.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the crank runout is good then there is a very good possibility a piece of foreign material (metal) found its way into the pump.It doesn't take a lot to bind up the rotors.
No evidence

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As it turns out. This is the second CPS . Pulling engine today for a complete tear down oil pan also. Nice to see some evidence show up.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Debris in the oil pan….Where does that much steel come from in a brand new 117 build?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts