V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to remove the rear cam gear drive to get to one of the oil pump bolts. Got the drive gear bolt out, but how do I remove the gear itself? Also, any tricks about reinstallation? Have read to install key, slip gear on, tighten bolt to 35 ft/lbs w/red locktite. But how do I get it removed?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Not a tech but,there should be two threaded holes in the cam gear itself. Insert two bolts into these and alternately tighten to work the gear off of shaft. BE GENTLE

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I thought that might be what they were for. Do you know about reinstalling that bad boy? Since it is so tight and needs help to remove, seems there might be more to putting it back on than "replace key, install gear, tighten bolt to 35."

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Mile Hi said:
Thanks. I thought that might be what they were for. Do you know about reinstalling that bad boy? Since it is so tight and needs help to remove, seems there might be more to putting it back on than "replace key, install gear, tighten bolt to 35."
I just did this and taped it on with a rubber/nylon hammer, then torqued the bolt.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
It should go on smoothly. I was able to put mine on using the bolt without much effort. Just keep an eye on the cam key and make sure it stays in place. If you use the bolts in the gear to remove it turn each one only a little bit at a time and put a piece of milk jug or something between the end off the bolt and the cam plate to keep from scarring it.

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
vetteandharley said:
Not a tech but,there should be two threaded holes in the cam gear itself. Insert two bolts into these and alternately tighten to work the gear off of shaft. BE GENTLE
Wouldn't want the backs of them bolts pushing too hard on the support plate. There's an easier way. Buy a small gear puller. $10.00. Bolts up to the gear threads.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Just slide a piece of steel, like a machinest ruler or something between the end of the bolts and the cam support plate. This will keep the small bolts from digging into your support plate....They put those threaded holes there for a reason, don't be afraid to use them...just take precautions for the aluminum support plate.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
LAF said:
I just did this and taped it on with a rubber/nylon hammer, then torqued the bolt.
No need to tap...the bolt will pull it right on...

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
You better use a small puller like a steering wheel puller. If you go and run just a couple of bolts through that cam gear and bottom them out on the cam plate, then start cranking them down to pull the gear you could bust the cam plate.

When reinstalling the cam gear I would also put in a new Woodruff key as well.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
If you screw a long 1/4-20 bolt into each hole and turn each one a 1/4 turn at a time the gear will come off very easily it doesn't put hardly any pressure on the cam plate. I have done this a dozen times or more without a problem. The correct way would be to use a gear puller if you have one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts