V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
replaced cam plate. Put engine back together. Start engine oil lite is on(no pressure). pretty good tapping noise. rockers appear to not be gewtting any oil. will check oil pump next. Top 3 reasons for not oiling are.....?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Did you seat the new oil pump properly? If you used the -08 kit, did you put the large o-ring on the body of the pump? Did you replace the o -rings on the sump pick up and the two on the case? Did you put the pump together using assembly lube so you'll have some suction to pull oil on initial cranking?
I just finished doing the hydraulic cam chain tensioner upgrade on my '01 Wide Glide. By doing the above (except for large o-ring because I used the -11 kit) I had no problems getting oil pressure. I pulled the plugs and grounded them, then did 3, five second cranks with the starter. On the 4th try the oil pressure light went out. Put the plugs in and she fired right up with the oil light out.
I've read were some guys will take out the oil sending unit and use an oil can to squirt some oil back into the pump to prime it.
Hope this gives you some ideas.

Dave

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
might want to start by tellin what year model bike it is. did you use the same year cam plate as the base of the motor? i had this same issue come to find out from people on here i was using a 2000 and above cam plate in a 1999 base twin cam and they dont work together. the 2000 and above enging blocks have an extra oil passage that matches a port in the 2000 and above cam plates. the 1999 block and cam plate dont have this. so if you are using a 2000 and above cam plate in a 1999 block the oil drains out of the extra oil passage in the cam plate into the block not allowing any pressure to build up. i had to tap and plug this oil passage with a kit from Bailey and everything works now.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Also double check the oil pump assy. Easy to get the parts mixed up. Don't ask me how I know, LOL.

·
Registered
111 Posts
. . . Did you put the pump together using assembly lube so you'll have some suction to pull oil on initial cranking?

Dave
Dave

I'm about the open up my FXDP for first time to check/replace tensioners. Can you give a bit more info about using assembly lube to prime the pump? Do you mean just squirt some lube around in the impeller right before the cam plate goes back on? Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
A couple days after i did the cams and oil pump, cam plate, ect ect ect, its like a friggen snow ball effect, anyways i lost oil pressure at idle, lifters rattled at start up, oil light on, it would take a good 30 seconds to get any oil pressure and for the lifters to quiet down, 30 seconds doesnt sound like very long, but its an eternity without oil pressure or so it seemed, anyways oil pressure guage acted more like a tach, rev it up it wouild peg out, idle no oil pressure, turned out being the bypass relief valve had a speck of rubber stuck in it from a o ring and was stuck open, cleaned it, used emery cloth on it, just like it never happened.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
replaced cam plate. Put engine back together. Start engine oil lite is on(no pressure). pretty good tapping noise. rockers appear to not be gewtting any oil. will check oil pump next. Top 3 reasons for not oiling are.....?
There was a time that scooters didn't have significant oil pressure at an idle.

Search this site and also google Baisley oil pump spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts