V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
100th Road Glide
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have ridden my 03 RoadGlide about 4 times since I bought it in late November and each ride has not been that long. The guy I bought it from told me it was due oil service so I figured I would get it done when the weather breaks since I don't have a heated place to work on it. I went on a decent ride saturday and after about 40 miles my oil pressure showed about 0 when sitting at a red light and then the small red oil light came on. I kind of freaked since I am new to Harleys and I am just learning them. I quickly pulled over and checked the oil with the bike sitting level and it showed low. The service station did not have any 20w50 so I put in a quart of 10w40 since it was cool that day and I figured it would be ok. The light never came on again and the bike ran flawless so when I got home while the engine was still hot I drained everything, Primary, engine and tranny. I had all of the replacement fluids that I had bought from my local HD shop and did the changes, new o- rings on the plugs, filters etc. I added the oils then the next morning when the bike was cold I raised the bike via the lift I got from sears and pulled the plugs and rolled the rear wheel to check my primary, I never could find a tight spot and everything checked out for up and down play to be 5/8-7/8 cold. Really was not that difficult at all considering all I had ever done was *** sportbikes. More in-depth here but still not a biggie. The question I have after all my explaining is what should my oil pressure be? I thought I read somewhere on this site and did a search but could not find it that at idle I should have about 5 psi. When I 1st start it and its getting warmed up it settles to about 5 and at speed in high gear 60mph its less than 30 but when I come up to a light and stop it sometimes goes all the way to 0 but the oil light does not come on. After I rode for a while today it stopped dropping to 0 but stayed at about 5. The bike runs great but is this normal. Also I checked the oil level after about a minute or two shut down and hot and its right on the correct mark. I just don't want something to happen to my 1st HD and I am picky wanting to know eveything is good to go. Thanks for the info! Mike

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Hi Mike, the oil light should not come on because the oil is low. It is a dry sump system and as long as there is enough oil to go through the system and return to the tank without sucking air, there would be no light. Could be that the idle is too low or you were more than just low on the oil level.???????????

·
Registered
247 Posts
When my 2001 bagger gets its mind set on idling a little low I show 0 oil pressure myself, this being with a brand new oil pump and a brand new cam support plate installed. My tach really reads off by bout 100 RPM so at hot idle showing 1000 im really doing only 900 which is a dab low for keepin the oil pressure up. Next time it happens just open the throttle a wee bit and see if that brings the pressure back up. If that works reset the hot idle to that RPM. 1000 to 1100 RPM at hot idle is typical and under 950 is a no no as I understand, and your tach could be off a bit like mine.
Query: what mileage is on that bike? And 4 short rides since November? U must have some crappy weather where u are at.
:disclaimer: I am not now nor have I ever been a motorcycle mechanic..i just know this worked for me.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My 2000 EG reads about 0 oil pressure at idle and has for 104,000 miles :D
Harleys run high volume low pressure systems and have roller bearings on the crank so a lot of pressure is not required.
Your idle should be set at about 1000 rpm or it's too low an idle for proper oiling but don't worry too much about the pressure gauge.
as long as it comes up with engine rpms you're fine.
Hell the old bikes didn't have gauges,you just had to check the oil once in a while :beer:

·
100th Road Glide
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Feel better!

Thanks Guys for the input. I did some searching on the web and it seems that Harleys run real low pressure. I was wondering how the bikes that have no pressure gauge would keep track but if its running well and the oil is at the correct level, heck with it. Mine has 14k miles on it but all by the previous original owner. I have put maybe 250 miles on it. Here in this part of Virginia we have had really nice days during the week of course! By the time I get off work and home the sun is going down and its cold then! This weekend its raining again! I plan to run it a lot when the time and weather allows it. I am about 1 1/2 hours southwest of DC and about 30 minutes east. My bike seemed fine after the oil change and it got settled in with the new oil. It stays about 5. Its also an injected model so the manual says I must have a dealer adjust the idle. I plan to take it in to the dealer soon for a new front tire and I may get that idle checked. Thanks again, Mike

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I know the Dyna's oil level is checked with the bike on the side stand. I thought the same for the FLH's?
Even with a damage oil pump my 01 Dyna never dipped below 8 psi screaming hot @ 1000 rpm's. With the super pump I have in there now I never see less then 12.

You want to set around at a light with "0" oil psi fine, but I would not allow this myself.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Kags said:
I know the Dyna's oil level is checked with the bike on the side stand. I thought the same for the FLH's?
You're right. FLTs check it on the jiffy stand. :yes:

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I had a classic with this problem a couple of years ago. Mine ended up being corrosion on the wire terminal at the sending unit. The corrosion seemed to add just enough resistance to throw the gauge and light off.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
On the Classic, it was behind the rear lifter guide, above the oil pump. That was an evo motor though. I'm not sure if it would be in a different place on a TC. My 05 Deluxe only has a pressure switch and it's located on the case in front of the cam cover.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts