V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an oil pressure gauge installed on my 05 EG Std. I got it out the other day when the weather was actually nice during the winter, and rode a while. When I was idoling at a stop light/sign, the oil pressure gauge would go down to 0, but when i sped up and my speed went above 20 the gauge went up to normal range....I checked the level and it was just maybe a little low so I cant believe that it would be causing this big fluctuation in the gauge reading...is there a problem with the gauge possibly? Any advice?
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Mine is the SE unit. It's somewhat like that if the engine isn't thoroughly warmed up and the idle is a little low. Shouldn't read low like that if you're warmed up and idling at 1000. Sometimes idle is set too low and oil pressure will reflect that.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Are you sure it was zero, or maybe just close to zero? Twin cams are supposed to idle at 5-7 psi (or there about) when up to temp. Was the oil light on too? If not, I bet it was just at the low end of the gauge...

Only way to be sure is to pull the sensor and attach a mechanical gauge to confirm the reading. I rigged one together with some brass fittings, an old water pressure gauge and a few feet of plastic 1/4" tubing...

I had similar problems on my 99 Road Glide. Finally fixed it when I found the previous owner had substituted an Evo pan gasket for the required one...

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
When I am stuck in awful traffic mine goes to zero at idle. Bonces back up with a rev.

·
Registered
675 Posts
That's probably okay; these gauges aren't perfectly accurate, and the pressure drops to very low at idle. I wouldn't worry about it with a bike that new (or even one not that new).

Ragnar

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Mine is similar - drops down at idle and goes back up at speed. Doesn't sound like there's a problem unless there's also some kind of performance issue or warning light.

·
Registered
958 Posts
The Baisley spring works,15 to 20 lbs hot at idle.I think it's pretty common to read 0lbs hot idle(stock).My buds 2002 Heritage does the same,I've always thought he sets his idle too low too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
reply to questions: oil light not on

The oil light never came on....if the oil seems to be a bit low, should i ass some...i just had a service done about 2800 miles ago, and they used synthetic oil....?? i went and bought a quart just incase...$9 YIKES!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Synthetic Oil

Yeah, synthetic oil in the engine is going to set you back a good amount at each oil change. I use synthetic in the primary and trans. I change the engine oil every 3,000 and use H-D conventional.

I'm not sure what magic elixir H-D adds to their synthetic oil to charge those crazy $$'s. Has to be a good revenue generator for the company!

·
Registered
779 Posts
emtkyle said:
The oil light never came on....if the oil seems to be a bit low, should i ass some...i just had a service done about 2800 miles ago, and they used synthetic oil....?? i went and bought a quart just incase...$9 YIKES!!
Yes.

Just check it hot, per the manual instructions, or you run the chance of overfilling it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts