V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
It's not too tough. I just put one on an 03 Fatboy. Get yourself an open end wrench and find the right angle to break it loose. A socket works well also. It doesn't take much to get it moving and once it starts, you can back it off with your fingers.

I threaded the sensor on to the "T" block in the kit, before I threaded the block onto the bike. Teflon tape helps. Also, that plastic line is a short-lived thing. Dennis Kirk sells a nice stainless line that fits perfectly and has a much nicer rounded "T" block.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
pws said:
Don't use Teflon tape AT ALL on switch / sensor configurations! It can insulate the switch from ground which will cause all sorts of problems.
The choices on this one are thread sealant or a wrap or two of Teflon tape. It needs something or it will leak! Like YankeeBob said, you have to stay away from the opening/first thread or risk a blockage. Between the first thread or two and the fact that the tape gets cut by the threads anyway, it will make good electrical contact. The instructions call for sealant. That always makes more of a mess for me than a clean wrap of the tape.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Emil said:
If this is the same gauge I'm thinking of there is no electrical contact. Use all the tape you need. It's a mechanical oil pump. Further, if it's the HD version, start searching for a replacement. The damping oil in the gauge will leak out from somehwere. Usually either the gauge face or the plug. Replacing the fluid is easy but a waste of time.
The oil pressure gauge doesn't have any contacts, but the bike's oil pressure sender, which screws back into the T block does have an electrical contact.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.