V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the HD oil pressure guage that instals on top of the rear rocker box cover. My question is: how do I remove the stock oil pressure sensor that is installed at the front of the motor? I have V & H Big Shots and it looks like the pipes impeed the access to the sensor; I beleive the stock pipes would do the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My skoot is a 2005 Softail Standard.:hmmm:

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
That stock sensor has to stay, you need a banjo fitting or a "T" connector. Do you have the instructions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
csoday said:
That stock sensor has to stay, you need a banjo fitting or a "T" connector. Do you have the instructions.

Yes, I do...the instructions say to remove it and then re-istall behind the t-connector. But it looks like it would be difficult to gain access to the sensor to remove it. I'm just looking for anyone who may have intalled one of these things before; I'm curious to see what tool was used to remove the sensor. Thanks CSODAY!

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
It's not too tough. I just put one on an 03 Fatboy. Get yourself an open end wrench and find the right angle to break it loose. A socket works well also. It doesn't take much to get it moving and once it starts, you can back it off with your fingers.

I threaded the sensor on to the "T" block in the kit, before I threaded the block onto the bike. Teflon tape helps. Also, that plastic line is a short-lived thing. Dennis Kirk sells a nice stainless line that fits perfectly and has a much nicer rounded "T" block.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Tight Fit

I installed the H-D rocker box oil gauge some time ago. I have stock head pipes, and was able to get an adjustable wrench in there to remove the oil sender, it was a tight fit. I then installed the t-adapter, and re-installed the sender/switch.
Not sure how much room you have with aftermarket pipes, good luck.

P.S. My oil guage blew the plug, and glycol went everywhere, I took the whole thing off, no gauge at this time.

MW

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Can't help you with those pipes. I had no problem with Thunderheaders. I also used the Arlen Ness unit.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
DON"T put teflon tape on the first thread. If you do, you take the chance of a little piece of it coming loose and going thru the engine and ending up somewhere you don't want it to.

YB

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
YankeeBob said:
DON"T put teflon tape on the first thread. If you do, you take the chance of a little piece of it coming loose and going thru the engine and ending up somewhere you don't want it to.

YB
Don't use Teflon tape AT ALL on switch / sensor configurations! It can insulate the switch from ground which will cause all sorts of problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input....I guess I'll try a small cresent wrench and see how it goes....Thanks again!

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
pws said:
Don't use Teflon tape AT ALL on switch / sensor configurations! It can insulate the switch from ground which will cause all sorts of problems.
The choices on this one are thread sealant or a wrap or two of Teflon tape. It needs something or it will leak! Like YankeeBob said, you have to stay away from the opening/first thread or risk a blockage. Between the first thread or two and the fact that the tape gets cut by the threads anyway, it will make good electrical contact. The instructions call for sealant. That always makes more of a mess for me than a clean wrap of the tape.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:
The choices on this one are thread sealant or a wrap or two of Teflon tape. It needs something or it will leak! Like YankeeBob said, you have to stay away from the opening/first thread or risk a blockage. Between the first thread or two and the fact that the tape gets cut by the threads anyway, it will make good electrical contact. The instructions call for sealant. That always makes more of a mess for me than a clean wrap of the tape.
I used pipe sealant on mine - no problems so far.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If this is the same gauge I'm thinking of there is no electrical contact. Use all the tape you need. It's a mechanical oil pump. Further, if it's the HD version, start searching for a replacement. The damping oil in the gauge will leak out from somehwere. Usually either the gauge face or the plug. Replacing the fluid is easy but a waste of time.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Emil said:
If this is the same gauge I'm thinking of there is no electrical contact. Use all the tape you need. It's a mechanical oil pump. Further, if it's the HD version, start searching for a replacement. The damping oil in the gauge will leak out from somehwere. Usually either the gauge face or the plug. Replacing the fluid is easy but a waste of time.
The oil pressure gauge doesn't have any contacts, but the bike's oil pressure sender, which screws back into the T block does have an electrical contact.

·
Registered
65 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:
The oil pressure gauge doesn't have any contacts, but the bike's oil pressure sender, which screws back into the T block does have an electrical contact.
That's true now that you mention it. In any event, I used teflon tape and had no problems.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Teflon tape is ok, just don't put it on the first thread or two. with the tape not on the first thread or two, you will not only prevent tape from getting in the engine, you will also have an electrical contact for the sending unit.

YB

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
cambi said:
I just purchased the HD oil pressure guage that instals on top of the rear rocker box cover. My question is: how do I remove the stock oil pressure sensor that is installed at the front of the motor? I have V & H Big Shots and it looks like the pipes impeed the access to the sensor; I beleive the stock pipes would do the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My skoot is a 2005 Softail Standard.:hmmm:
Others have already answered this - but FYI, Russell makes a braided stainless hose for this application in the event you ever want/need to upgrade.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oil Pressure Gauge --HD

I installed the HD oil pressure gauge on my last bike, '01 FXDWG following the instructions for such in Am Iron Mag which made more sense that the HD instructions.

Worked fine with Teflon tape to seal it as it isn't an electrical gauge.

However, and I wish I could draw a picture, the look of the gauge from the side (where the rest of the world sees it) was poor--it needs a chrome "cup" or something to look good. From the side, you're literally looking at the golden/bronze unpolished side of the gauge and its fitting to the oil pressure line. HD makes tach "cups" in chrome, but I never found something like that for the oil pressure gauge.

Arlen Ness makes a very similar kit that is covered. (Even though you can't tell from the nice photo FatbOy posted.

But I don't know if it disables the oil pressure dash light. The HD kit does not. Nice to have the gauge, but you'll never look at the readings while riding enough to know if there's an oil pressure problem or not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts