V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Th gauge will not get your attention like a light will if the pressure drops. If you put a gauge on the bike, your next post will be "why is my oil pressure reading so low at idle"...

I suggest that you stick with the light.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,763 Posts
Anyone have a oil pressure gauge hooked up?

I was looking at this for my FXR instead of using the light.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5700002#reviews

Any experience with one of these?
I don't know that particular gage, but any direct reading gage (not electric) will work fine. The only possible problem with an electric gage is getting the right sending unit. Direct pressure gages are just simpler.

I've always preferred gages to idiot lights, and I'm guessing you're smart enough to train yourself to monitor yours.

My FXRT has 8 gages...
speedo
tach
oil press
oil temp
clock
cyl head temp
volts
gas

joe

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
I like the idiot light. I've never thought of switching it out for a gauge. I like that I am likely to instantly see an idiot light go on and immediately shut down the engine to investigate. Both would be nice but if I am only going to have one, and that's what I have, I'll opt for the idiot light.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I really suggest using the gauge mount and system from elvis' place. Not only is it affordable, but it is of superior design and construction, mounted with a flexible line, which further enhances its durability. You gotta call and ask for it special.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've had a great one for many years.

Dude.....that is terible. How do you read your gauge? Looks like you went dirt bike riding with the gauge. As to the other comments.....why cant ya keep the light and install the gauge? Why does it have to be one or the other??????

·
Banned
102 Posts
Dude.....that is terible. How do you read your gauge? Looks like you went dirt bike riding with the gauge.

I ride my bike hard. Rain or shine, and we do alot of dirt roads. I ride a beater and could care less if she's shiney, just so long as it gets me where I'm headed. She's been washed exactly 3 times in the last four years. Not once by me though. One of them was this afternoon by my oldest son... in a dress because he lost a bet with me. lol

Not washing her is another one of the reasons I went with the bedliner finish. Easy to clean and extremely durable, even after caked on dirt has been there for months on end. Try that with a run of the mill paint job. I don't baby her and pamper her like some do their bikes. She's made for the road, not the bike show.

I don't read my gauge. It's been in that condition for 15 years and at least 140,000 miles that I know of. It was already cracked when I got it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had one on mine, you can get a tee which allows you to run the guage and the idiot light both. I had constant small leaks with my setup, finally yanked it off and went back to the idiot light only. I hate leaks and drips...

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,763 Posts
I really suggest using the gauge mount and system from elvis' place. Not only is it affordable, but it is of superior design and construction, mounted with a flexible line, which further enhances its durability. You gotta call and ask for it special.
You can't use 'affordable' and 'Elvis' Place' in the same sentence. It just ain't done.

joe

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can't use 'affordable' and 'Elvis' Place' in the same sentence. It just ain't done.

joe

Now that's funny.

I was just curious about the temp gauge. I would keep idiot light, but would like to have a gauge as well. I like reading gauges.

Only gauge I currently run is a speedo.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,763 Posts
Now that's funny.

I was just curious about the temp gauge. I would keep idiot light, but would like to have a gauge as well. I like reading gauges.

Only gauge I currently run is a speedo.
I forgot to add that I also have an idiot light on the bike.

I prefer an analog face on gages. Digital tells you where you're at- period. With analog, you can watch the sweep of the needle, which is helpful in small and/or subtle ways.

joe

·
Registered
227 Posts
Gretch, PM me, I may have my guage setup laying around here somewhere. I'll never use it again, give me a day or so and I should have my hands on it...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts