V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 Ultra has Stage 2 Big Bore (w/cams). On the way to Myrtle Beach entire right side of bike was covered with Oil. Went to the dealer in Knoxville who diagnosed the problem as oil out of the air cleaner. They indicated this "Sometimes happens to the HD's when running hard - we were going 80 for quite a while). They "aligned" the oil pump and set me on my way. A few miles later, same problem. Hobbled home and took to locall dealer who advised leak was coming from missing O-Ring in pushroad (mechanics error during installation of Big Bore). Got the bike home (with new o-ring installed) , running hard again and right back to where I was. Oil everywhere, DEFINITELY, coming from the air cleaner.

The oil is a mess and trashes my wife's pants. The volume is not huge as a little oil, sprayed at 80 MPH, makes a big mess. My dealer is of little help. Says this is a problem with some of the big engines. This makes no sense to me. My set-up is no different than a Screaming Eagle Road King or Road Glide. If I had one of those, this would certianly not be acceptable and would be warrantable. I have a hard time beleiving that this is something that I must live with. Anybody elese have/had this and is there a fix ??

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Damn, have many friends who have simular setups as yours and never experienced this problem!

Isn't there some sort of warranty with the work on the big bore kit? If the one dealer truly found a missing o'ring, have them put it in writing and take it to your local dealer who originally did the work and tell them to fix it right or your off to the Better Bussiness Dudes and another shop...:mad:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Your bike isn't the same as a SE, they have a closed airbox and a dry filter element.

It is real common, much more so on the older bikes then the 02's. Any number of possible causes, we discussed it a while ago with Rustler, do a search and you will find it.

One thing that was not mentioned in detail was reversion and since the puking isn't all that common on 02's you might want to consider it as a possibility, if you have an unhappy cam, pipe and fuel mapping combination they will spit fuel out of the intake, the fuel then dillutes oil residue on the air cleaner element, and there you go.

It is really imperative that the oil level not be overfilled and not even at the max mark hot when running dyno oil, as temperatures go very high during hard running in hot weather the level rises significantly.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Sure looks like someone, maybe the factory, is getting billed for a whole lot of ghost labor.

The oil pump alignment used to be a cause, but it was corrcted in production. At least it is somewhat credible.

The missing pushrod O ring is a pipe dream, it would have been a huge oily mess long before the bike ever saw the highway.

The fact the problem persists sort of proves the point.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I recapped all the things I did to stop the pucking at:
www.geocities.com/~tex_rustler/pucking.html

I agree with Hippo first check your reversion - I have seen a number of the newer bikes with reversion problems (always after a slip on muffler change to the exhaust system) that show oil pucking - it is really the K&N filter oil that is being spewed out when the filter gets wet with gas as a result of the reversion blowing gas OUT the carb (manifold for those who are FI'd). Reversion is just the miss match between your jetting and exhaust (since timing is fixed unless you have the newer aftermarket adjustable timing modules)

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
dankwiz,
I can tell you what worked for me. . .
'02 E-Glide Standard, slip-ons, stage 1 A/C, and carb rejet.
Had a similar problem at higher speeds with SE Air Cleaner, oil vapor coming from the vent tubes, through the air cleaner element, spraying on the right side of the bike. No spray below 65 mph, or extremely little - none below 60 at all.
After reading a lot of posts, asking some whom I've come to know that KNOW, I accepted that some of this is normal, and that I was in this group. Didn't want to simply route head vents to below bike, so ended up with Ness Big Sucker II. Its backing plate routes vents near carb intake so that any vapor is sucked into engine and burned - SE just vents to bottom of backing plate, so it drips thru filter element. The bit of vapor burned does not cause fouling or smoke. If I do see smoke, then I'll know something else is going on. Recently did a 4300 mile out west trip with a lot of expressway riding. No further problems with oil vapor.
Good rides,
Don

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had this problem also. Mine seemed to be puking out the rear exhaust push rod tube as well as the breather. I change the O ring three times before I gfinally got it to stop. It was still blowing out the breather but not as much. I realigned the oil pump when I put the cams in.

The problem with the push rid tube turned out to be mine. I topped off my oil before starting a long ride and overfilled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts