V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 1990 flht bought it in 10-05 from H-D dealer. was a full prep,oils, filter, primary, etc. Also a reman motor put in by dealer. At about 1000 miles I thought I would "double check" there work(I am a Deisel Tech. so I am familar with mechanicals etc.) when I opened the primary I found it about empty(1/2pint or so) Dropped it out replaced it with new and good to go... (under advisement of dealer) later on down the road 2 weeks happened to notice oil comin out breather checked and found oil to full. Oil lines were ratty lookin thought return might be clogged. replaced lines, good to go no more blow out. week goes by primary starts whining... check it and find it about 1/2 pint left... the oil tank is about at top. add oil to primary... minute or so later w/ eng. running pukes oil out breather and top of tank... call dealer back... says might be seal to crank on case... I'm sure I could remedy but was wondering if seal is maybe leaking or maybe not instaled... didnt insp.behind rotor but... By the way dealer is located 120 miles from me possible not warranty. any thoughts?
Thanks for the help.
Rip

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Have him fix it. Engine is sucking oil out of primary.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sounds like the check ball in the oil pump is not seating, allowing the crankcase to wet sump "oil draining into the crankcase from the oil tank".
I have never seen oil get sucked out of the primary. HD did not even use a seal on the left main shaft until 1969.
On the contrary engine oil will tend to bleed into the primary.
Also if you have one of those absolutly useless filters on the breather line, take it off.
Draw some oil out of the oil tank. start the engine and see if the oil level rises if it does, then oil is creeping past the oil pump check ball and filling the cases.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that angle L. Linkert 2 times i tryed this and the only thing I am getting is...as long as i dont add any oil to primary it does not add any oil two tank but if I look in and guess I would say the level of oil in primary is about the same as the lower edge of crank hmmmmm thats what i m thinking ... seal not doing it, maybe seal installed backwards? dont have comp. for clutch so..... you know I cant look at that maybe 2day thankx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:chopper:
When I found oil blowin out of breather I thought I would check obvious things 1st. I knew I wanted to reoute the oil supply & return from pump. Some mechanically challenged individual didnt know the routing and just guessed...:spank: Mind you, it is a reman motor from MoCo. (shortly b4 purchase of this sled I know this was done) All the hoses were boogered up & pinched on return to oil filter. I checked pump it was moving oil and sceen was ok and check ball wasnt stuck... oil filter was just changed but chose to change again just in case I have seen filter problems w/ bikes,cars, tractor trailers, etc. Forgetting the fact that i found primary oil very low and dirty, I assumed they F'ed up the job seening the hoses and other stuff... Didnt think that was problem. I drove for a bout20 miles b4 this developed.. rode to work that day mile from home it started puking oil heating,lines warm pinched more etc. u get where my diagnostics leaned towards. I never heard of this primary to crank case happening. but Dealer just told me on Friday evening 89-90 cases had permeating problems with the cases and pulling oil from primary to case... :thumbsdn:
I never heard that ... but I am certain that the primary oil is transfering from there to oil case side in th matter of 1 minute or so I tryed it w/ dealer on the phone ( they r in south east pa, I am in central pa ... 125miles away sucks for me I know :dunno:
That is why I posted here I KNOW their is a lot knowledge on this board so I hoping you guys help me on this... :beer4u:

Once I get the compressor tool for clutch spring I will see the seal etc.
Thanks for all the help :thanks:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts