V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 FLTRX, 2014 FLHTK
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever replaced an oil pan. I have a 1997 FXDWG. The drain hole is stripped out. Tried an oversized plug, tried tapping the hole to a bigger size, and have had no luck. New oil pan is only $130 so I decided to order it. The manuel doesnt show anything about changing the oil pan. It looks like a few bolts around the edges and a couple hoses going to it. I just want to make sure there isnt anything that I should know before doing this, or something I cant see that is going to cause a problem.

·
Banned
871 Posts
harley97 said:
Has anyone ever replaced an oil pan. I have a 1997 FXDWG. The drain hole is stripped out. Tried an oversized plug, tried tapping the hole to a bigger size, and have had no luck. New oil pan is only $130 so I decided to order it. The manuel doesnt show anything about changing the oil pan. It looks like a few bolts around the edges and a couple hoses going to it. I just want to make sure there isnt anything that I should know before doing this, or something I cant see that is going to cause a problem.
I just checked the manual for my 1995 Dyna and it shows the oil tank replacement procedures. It's an oil tank, not pan. Cages use oil pans. ;)

Do you have the H-D Factory Service Manual for your year/model? The other books (Chilton's, Haynes, etc.) aren't worth the paper they are printed on except for a couple photos. Many of their specs and torque values are incorrect, and there are a lot of things missing from them. If you don't have the right book, then I strongly advice that you get one, and maybe a parts catalog, too. If you own a Harley, then these books are mandatory! You paid several thousand dollars on the bike, why get cheap when buying tools? The manual is your most important tool. You can get them for a good price on the web, even on ebay. Of course, if you go to the stealership, you can expect to pay a lot more.... as usual. :(

Make sure you have the proper book and follow the instructions carefully. It's a very easy job. :) Just remember to make sure the sealing surfaces are clean and not scratched or you will get leaks. Do NOT use any gasket sealer on a Harley unless the manual calls for it. Also mark the oil lines so you know where to reinstall them. You can use stainless worm-gear type hose clamps when going back together. No need to mess with the factory clamps, which require a special crimping tool. The worm-gear clamps will last you a long, long time. You can find them at just about any hardware or auto parts store for just a buck or two.

·
Registered
2012 FLTRX, 2014 FLHTK
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been outta town for a while. Just picked up the new oil pan today, putting it on after work on Friday. I do have the Harley manuel for my bike and a parts book. Those books have been well worth the money spent on them as I do all my own work on the bike. I must have missed the pages that dealt with the oil pan. The parts manuel refers to it as an oil pan, the service manuel and owners manuel refer to it as an oil tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts