V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got back from a ride and notice some smoke coming off the motor, apparently oil is spewing out from somewhere. I see oil on the frame/seat post, and the oil pump hoses, sprayed onto the oil tank and clutch cover. The oil level was a little more than usual.

Any ideas?

PS, it's not a gasket leak , that area was dry. And, the oil wasnt leaking when the bike was off, it wasnt even enough to drip on the driveway. Oil temo gauge read at about 200 degrees and the breather was dry.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
132 Posts
Originally posted by cannibal Just got back from a ride and notice some smoke coming off the motor, apparently oil is spewing out from somewhere. I see oil on the frame/seat post, and the oil pump hoses, sprayed onto the oil tank and clutch cover. The oil level was a little more than usual.

Any ideas?

PS, it's not a gasket leak , that area was dry. And, the oil wasnt leaking when the bike was off, it wasnt even enough to drip on the driveway. Oil temo gauge read at about 200 degrees and the breather was dry.

Thanks in advance
Check inside the air cleaner for signs of oil, just wrap your fingers under the edge on the bottom.

If you got it there and it is a TC88 here is what I did - your results may vary - go to
www.geocities.com/~tex_rustler/pucking.html

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the leak, the rear cylinder rocker box is leaking. It's the lower gasket. I dont have a manual, so I dont know what is involved. But when I looked in my J&P catalog, there are alot of gaskets and o-rings, looks more involved than changing a valve cover gasket on a car.

I do have the extended warranty, does anyone know if it covers this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NEW LEAK!!

I got the rear rocker box leak fixed a couple f months ago. But, I went to the Las Vegas Bike Fest a couple of weeks ago and developed a new leak in the front cylinder. Here's what I don't know, the head and rocker gaskets are dry, it's leaking from the hole under the rocker box, all over the spark plug. When I say hole, I mean that little valley on the top of the head under the rocker box.
The rear rocker box is starting to seep again, also.
The dealer said I need to let the oil warm up a bit before I ride, I do. Is there something I am doing wrong?

And does anyone know where that front leak could be coming from?
Thanks in advance!:(

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Front leak is probably also rocker box gaskets. There is a small one in the middle of the rocker boxes. If you are warming up the bike a little before riding it hard, it sounds to me like whoever replaced them last screwed up the job. Extended warranty should also cover these. I'd take it back to whoever did the work before. Evo's I've had and ones I've worked on generally go 30-50K without rocker box leaks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how long do I need to warm up for?
I have an oil temp gauge, is there a certain temp I should see before riding?
Sorry about the stupid questions, but I used to cars and short warm ups.
Thanks again

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Well, I always did the Evo's I've had like this: fire it up, idle for a couple of minutes, then out the driveway and down the road. Always took it easy for a couple of miles and didn't really bust on it until at least 5 miles. If the rocker boxes are warm, bike should be OK. Wouldn't worry about an oil temp gauge reading. Gotta remember that oil in engine is 10-15% hotter than what the softail gauge reads anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts