V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have a 1998 (99 model) FXDWG twin cam with 1550 barrels and pistons, cams, Mikuni & SE breather, SE slip ons, flowed heads etc. The bike goes like a bullet, has covered 35k miles and I'm really happy with the performance.

However I am suffering from a little bit of oil loss through the breather. Not a big deal but it sprays the side of the bike on a long run. and drips on the timing cover at rest.

A pal who was poking around the web told me that he has seen an article regarding this but can't remember where, which is a great help.

If anyone can throw any light on this I would very much appreciate some input.

Steve H

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hippo

Gives me something to look at. HD Dealers in the UK are not that good and with problems like this, you get the impression that they are really pleased it is an out of warranty motorcycle.

Regards

H

·
Registered
1 Posts
A couple of things to check -

First, you may want to lean out the Mikuni. It may be a little rich and what you're seeing on the bike could be a mix of gas and the oil that coats the air filter. Reversion thru the engine can cause reverse flow in the carb, spewing fuel onto the air filter, causing the fuel to mix with the oil on the filter and drip. Joe Minton's lean kit for Mikuni suggests a 165 main jet, 17.5 slow jet, 98 needle set to middle clip position, and a 50 accelerator pump nozzle. Backing off the accelerator pump adjustment may help, too, before doing any of this.

If it is oil, you may need to realign your oil pump. This involves opening up the cam cover and loosening the oil pump bolts. Two bolts are removed and two Evo tappet alignment bolts are inserted. The other two bolts are retightened to spec, then the alignment bolts are removed and the proper bolts reinserted and torqued to spec. A manual is a big help here - hope that you have one.

Harleywrench

1 - 4 of 4 Posts