V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to take my oil tank off and am trying to figure out what the setup is looking at the pictures in the service manual. My local dealers parts guy gave me some crap about selling tools. I thought I remembered a post here about using a tool setup from Craftsman but I couldn't find it with a search so...
whats the deal with that setup? How does it work and is there another source for the tools required?

Thanks

Steve

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
Are you talking about the clips on the lines? If its an older EVO rubber line(s), I think those are one use only and you cut them off, not sure how to put a new one on, I replaced my 10 year old lines with braided which use compression fittings.

If its the ones on the TC-88 I would have to look at the service manual for that.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its an 05 Train. The service manual shows plastic clips that I asssume press in next to the line to release something. I'm just curious how it works before the expensive mistake.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
You shouldn't need a tool. Im a tech and have taken off several tanks without the tool. First, slide the round chrome "cover" back out of the way. Then, just grab the two opposing plastic tabs, squeeze together, and pull out. Once you have the line out, what should be on there is two o-rings sandwiching a small plastic washer. If they're not on there, they'll still be sitting up in the tank. Use a small pick and you should be able to retrieve them. To re-insert later, slide them on the tube in order mentioned, then just plug it back in until it seats (should feel the tabs click).

It's really pretty simple.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I changed out my oil tank on my 04 FXST. No special tools needed. Just be careful not to scratch the tank while pulling it or putting it in.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just took mine off of an '05 FXST with 2 small allen wrenches, insert one allen along one side of the line right next to the squeeze tab untill you feel it click and then do the same thing on the other side of the line, the line will pull out easily and the clip stays in the tank.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I use a Scavenger by http://www.roguechopper.com and it came with a cool little plastic piece that makes taking the oil lines out a snap. You can see the little plastic piece I am referring to in the pic below that comes with the kit. I highly recommend this product for oil changes anyway. Nothing like getting ALL the old oil out and it comes with the tool you need to boot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.