V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. I just checked the oil on my 2003 lowrider. I rode it into work, about a 20 minute ride. I waited about 10 minutes before checking the oil. while on the jiffy stand, it read about an 1/8" above the add a quart line. I stood the bike up level, didn't give it much time, maybe less than 40 seconds, and it didn't go up all that much. Should I be checking the oil level or on the stand? Did I wait too long at about 10 minutes after shutting it off? any advice is greatly appreciated. The bike is new to me with just around 8600 miles on it! Thank you!!!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
when I had my 02 FXD it was on the jiffy stand I don't think that changed for 03 hopefully someone that knows for certain will chime in

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Check it on the sidestand. Push the dipstick all the way in. Cold should be a bit more than 1/2 way up. Hot should be at the top as marked.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I suggest you get an owner's manual. Full of very good info. It can be downloaded from Harley's website if you don't have one.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
I suggest you get an owner's manual. Full of very good info. It can be downloaded from Harley's website if you don't have one.
+1 - along with a Service Manual and a Parts Manual. Both are great to have and the latter has exploded parts diagrams. Very helpful.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
check on the stand,, never believe. or add oil to an engine that has not been started prior to having been started.. this in many cases leads to over filling...

on the stand it should show appx. halfway between the cold add and full marks,, warm it should be at the full mark... many harleys will sling some oil out the breather tubes inside the air filter housing,, if completely full... it will stop spitting oil there once the engine has reached where it wants the oil level to be..it's just how they are..

a service and parts manual are essential if you are going to do your own work,,, if there is an electrical manual that's handy ad well..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts