V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I recently acquired a 1975 FLH and it has some oil leaks 2 of the rocker caps are leaking quite a bit even though they are tight, I have seals coming to replace them. Then there is a large leak which seems to be coming from the area around the starter solenoid (best way I can describe it). The top of the inner primary is all wet in front of the starter solenoid and the oil then runs down the seam of the primary cover towards the foot shift. These leaks are very apparent after a 5-10 minute ride. I have started to take covers etc off the bike to see better behind the rear cylinder and oil tank area but in the mean time thought I would throw this out there and see what you all thought.
I posted this message to the HD Forums with no action yet, I did notice that the front and rear chin oiler ports on the pump are connected which makes me think there is maybe something amiss with the line routing
Pics attached
Bike, oil drips on paper after 2 minutes, rocker cap, oil in front of solenoid, oil in primary seam

Attachments

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
It's 45 yrs old. It's earned the right to leak a little.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JMcGraw

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Supposedly rebuilt 9 years ago and only 530 miles since then. I doubt I could ride 50 miles without it leaking all the oil out. Anyway today I traced all the oil lines and it seems it is set up as a wet sump. One disturbing find is the vent back to oil tank is plumbed where the return should be so no returning oil is filtered.
I have attached a marked up page that I got from this site or the HD Forum (thanks to the OP) showing what the current situation is. The port on the inner primary is also plugged and there is no external oil source for the rear chain.
Hopefully someone can comment on this plumbing as well as possible source of oil leak
oil pump.JPG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
90 % of leaks stopped. I rerouted the oil lines correctly and removed the plug in the crankcase vent and attached a hose. The Primary have 3/4 qt of excess oil in it. Omly leak know is from the rocker cap I show in the avatar it is stripped and I have not been able to get it out. Any suggestions to remove it in place?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Drill a small, correct diameter, hole in the center. Jam an easy-out into the hole and finesse it out. Pulling at the same time you are turning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drill a small, correct diameter, hole in the center. Jam an easy-out into the hole and finesse it out. Pulling at the same time you are turning.
I was actually thinking along those lines but since I whined about the stripped cap I have looked at it again and the shaft is turning. The acorn on the left side turns as the cap is turned so just need to solve that issue. Hopefully just putting a backup on the acorn will do.

Thanks

·
Registered
1979 FXS 80 Low Rider
9 Posts
You have a "ShovelHead", over the years we have hacked (I know bad term) the little bugs that we sometimes let get to us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got all the oil leak problems solved
Latest problem was aggressive clutch drag th I could not adjust away. Opened up primary and found 8 clutch springs broken some laying in the bottom. Anyway I am waiting for a Ram Jett and new springs, all else looks good.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Interesting read. Congrats on getting your leaks solved. I’ve had my bike apart for over a year, still finishing up re wiring. Drained the oil out this summer, preparing for a fire up. Ended up rewiring. So the oil tank is empty but my FXS still leaks a little out of the primary. I have even opened it up yet to see what’s in store for me. Hoping a new gasket will be an easy solution there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put a ram jett into the clutch after taking it apart and cleaning it up the plates are hardly used. Put a net set of Barnett stock springs in also installed ne clutch cable. Adjusted it numerous times >10 and can't get it to not grab with trans in gear and clutch engaged. Have a throwout bearing to replace but found the exhaust broken when I took off the heat shield so need to get that welded before I can remove exhaust to pull trans end cover. In between all that I had to replace the solenoid.
I used permatex to fix the primary gasket to the cover then Hylomar between gasket and inner. Didn't leak but I may have to pull it off again if the TO bearing doesn't stop these problems

1 - 11 of 11 Posts