V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help. I am leaking oil out of my oil filter, I think. It sprays onto my chaps, saddle bags, etc. My bike is a 2002 1200 Custom Sportster with only 1500 miles????? I have been trying not to lug it thinking this will definately cause the problem and still there is oil.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Oil filter, or Air filter?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions on this BB, but when did this start? Was it shortly after you had the oil changed? Where I am going with this is that at least on the common oil filter I use on my bike there is a gasket and sometime the gasket sticks to the engine and if you don't notice it you might put the new filter on over the old gasket, and you'll develop an oil leak. Or maybe the filter isn't on as tight as it should be, have you checked it?

Hope these aren't stupid suggestions; I am only trying to help

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did change the oil and shortly after that it started? I cleaned the bike and then drove around town on an errand, then checked the bike and no oil. I did wipe some oil off from around the air filter and checked the rockers, which did not have any oil on them.

Thanks

·
BFFB
833 Posts
harley now vents some crankcase pressure thru the pushrods to the air filter i have read when run hard sometimes oil comes out the air filter,,although mine never has its an epa thang

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It is very critical not to overfill the oil.

If it started after an oil change and then it stopped it probably just pushed some excess oil out.

When you change oil fill it to or a little above the minimum mark, then run the bike until it is hot, and if needed add just enough to bring it near the max mark.

The oil is supposed to be checked hot, and I mean real hot like after a good ride. Once you have this level right check it again in the morning when it is cold. Now you know where the cold mark is and you can check it easy cold to the new imaginary mark. Never exceed it for any reason.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hippo is right on that. I changed mine the other day and left it half way between the marks. Then when I got back from a 200 mile ride 65 to 75 most and didn't blow out any oil . Thats on a 95" When I got home it was right on the full mark.

·
Registered
224 Posts
These oil check methods has always worked great on all my old bikes except my new 02 Ultra, 1 day I do the cold check and it shows half way on the stick I think perfect and the next time it shows on the add mark, then the next time were back to the half way mark. Really different how they hold the oil in the sump. Shop manager at our dealer says the same thing. Have checked some guys oil that have come off the road and a lot of them are 1/2 qt overfill when checked hot.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great Advice, it definately stopped coming out as much and I will remember not to fill it up too much in the future when changing my oil.

Thanks everyone, excellent advice!!!!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
BHB, on the TC's it makes some difference how you shut the bike down.

The scavenge pump pickup is pretty much to the right in the cam cavity, ie the return oil from the cases has to first flow into the cam cavity, and to do that the bike has to be straight up.

If you let it run for several seconds at idle while straight up before shutting down it will become pretty consistent. There is always some oil left in there, the angle of lean when shutting down just varies how much.
When you shut down while on the kickstand there will be some oil left in the cases, they don't scavenge all that well when leaned to the left.

No big deal, but it's there.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Not sure this is necessary on a Sportster or if it will make a difference, in any event it can't hurt.

While some things are common across the bike lines, there are a bunch of little details that are specific to each model.
The bikes with an oil tank (as opposed to the rubbermounts) are checked with the bike straight up as far as engine oil level anyway instead of on the kickstand.
The general idea is to eliminate as many variables as possible.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't know if this will help or not, but my TC was puking oil out of the crank case breather into the air cleaner (momma wasn't happy when we got off the bike and her leg was covered in 50 weight oil). A local bike shop sold me three foot of braided hose and a little filter to mount on the bottom frame of the bike. This still allowed air to be sucked into the crank case but also let the excess blowby oil get puked out the bottom of the bike instead of down the side on the old lady's leg. Best 35 bucks I have spent yet.

·
Registered
228 Posts
let the excess blowby oil get puked out the bottom of the bike
Just my 2 cents but you might want to check into that. Blowing oil in front of your rear tire is not a good thing. :eek:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah, I thought about that but the amount of oil it puts out is pretty small. I just didn't want it down the side of the bike and the wife didn't like it on her jeans.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts