V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2000 twin cam FLHRCI. It has a weird oil leak can't seem to find where its coming from. I have oil that drips once in a while under rt floor board
area where voltage regulater wires plugs together. It almost looks like its coming out of plug which is impossible. I wipe it off and there it is again a few hours later but cant see any where its coming from. It does it weather
bike is running or not and its clean oil like maybe transmission. not a bad leak just bugs me. anybody out there had this kind of leak ? transmission is farther back then where the plug is. oil hose cover is also a little ways behind
where this is. I even thought oil from filter change getting into wire conduit
but it wouldn't be clean oil.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is really stretching it, but years ago I had a drip like that on a Bonneville which took forever to find. Ended up being the oil pressure switch leaked and oil was traveling up the wire sheath.
I have also heard of pourous cases but have not seen it personally.

·
Banned
90 Posts
did you verify how the clutch cable is set/mounted ?
sometimes people tie up the clutchcable against the frame.
now some physics: do you know the law of the communicating vases / lines ( sorry for my english ) ?
In the clutchcable you have a rubber over some bolts to tie/untie this cable for the adjustement. Now, i had this myself, this rubber is at lowerlevel then your clutch box, filled with very thin oil. And thus is this oil leaking to the lowest side.... drip drip drip ....

Just check it, i'm sure that the "rubberpart" of the clutchcable is very "oily".

If not, look further.

My 5cents,

Patrick, the imitation kicker dude...

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
HARLEYRIDER155 said:
I have a 2000 twin cam FLHRCI. It has a weird oil leak can't seem to find where its coming from. I have oil that drips once in a while under rt floor board
area where voltage regulater wires plugs together. It almost looks like its coming out of plug which is impossible. I wipe it off and there it is again a few hours later but cant see any where its coming from. It does it weather
bike is running or not and its clean oil like maybe transmission. not a bad leak just bugs me. anybody out there had this kind of leak ? transmission is farther back then where the plug is. oil hose cover is also a little ways behind
Chances are it is coming out of the connector for the stator/regulator. It's primary oil that's wicking inside the wire from the primary. Here's the info from HD on how to relocate that connector to solve your problem.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
HARLEYRIDER155 said:
Check the bottom of your oil filter. The rim crimp seal my be bad.

·
You don't say?
422 Posts
Ed Y said:
Chances are it is coming out of the connector for the stator/regulator. It's primary oil that's wicking inside the wire from the primary. Here's the info from HD on how to relocate that connector to solve your problem.
Hey Ed,

Was there a similar service bulletin for 99-01 Dyna models?

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Duoglide_62 said:
Hey Ed,

Was there a similar service bulletin for 99-01 Dyna models?

Thanks,
I've never heard of one for the Dyna's but that doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't one out there. If the Dyna stator/regulator connector is below the level of the engine case where the stator wire exits, the problem could be there too.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Duoglide_62 said:
Thanks Ed! Could that leak run down the primary and collect near the drain plug?
I doubt it but then stranger things have happened. If you've got oil near the primary drain plug, have someone on the left side of the bike lean it over towards them, then you get under it with a flashlight and check the back of inner primary, both where the trans shaft enters and up by the starter jackshaft. Other than the trans seal, those are 2 common places.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HARLEYRIDER155 said:
Hi Ed I was wondering if you could send me the info you mentioned here...I seem to be having the same issue with my bike

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Hi Ed I was wondering if you could send me the info you mentioned here...I seem to be having the same issue with my bike
Welcome to the forum Easy925. I hate to tell you but you are responding to a 10 year old thread. It would be a good thing if you started in the intro area and go from there. There is no shortage of help. Just ask in the right place. Best of luck!!! :beer:

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
you need to re-route the wire from the stator to the plug up and over, otherwise the will burn up your voltage regulator or stator or both, mine did it for years and it will wick worse when sitting for a few days than riding, I used to pull the connector apart and clean it before every ride. I finally changed it when I had the primary apart for other reasons.
2000s are notorious for this issue

SOB, newbie sucked me in again!

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
you need to re-route the wire from the stator to the plug up and over, otherwise the will burn up your voltage regulator or stator or both, mine did it for years and it will wick worse when sitting for a few days than riding, I used to pull the connector apart and clean it before every ride. I finally changed it when I had the primary apart for other reasons.
2000s are notorious for this issue

SOB, newbie sucked me in again!
:beer: :clap:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.