V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help with a new problem. I tore the motor down a couple weeks ago chasing a noisy pushrod issue and now it is smoking(blue smoke) on startup and then quits as it warms up. What started out as about a tablespoon amount of oil dripping out of the rear exhaust flange is now only a slight drip, but it is still smoking until warmed up. Head gasket is not leaking, it is definitely coming out of the exhaust flange. I used new rings and all new gaskets and have about 30 miles on the break in. I'm thinking it might be a valve seal as the bike runs perfect otherwise and did not do this the last time I built it. I haven't compression tested it but will try to do so in the next couple of days. I'm hoping that since the amount of oil dripping out has steadily decreased it might just heal itself :yes: I might just win the next powerball lottery too.:huh: Yeah, probably not. Anyone hear of this before and what are usual suspects/fixes?

:thanks:

2006 FLHT
95"
SE cast flat tops
Cometic .030
SBC Heads
SE quick install p-rods
TW37b
Propipe
DTT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Rocker box gasket OK?

aquaman said:
Need some help with a new problem. I tore the motor down a couple weeks ago chasing a noisy pushrod issue and now it is smoking(blue smoke) on startup and then quits as it warms up. What started out as about a tablespoon amount of oil dripping out of the rear exhaust flange is now only a slight drip, but it is still smoking until warmed up. Head gasket is not leaking, it is definitely coming out of the exhaust flange. I used new rings and all new gaskets and have about 30 miles on the break in. I'm thinking it might be a valve seal as the bike runs perfect otherwise and did not do this the last time I built it. I haven't compression tested it but will try to do so in the next couple of days. I'm hoping that since the amount of oil dripping out has steadily decreased it might just heal itself :yes: I might just win the next powerball lottery too.:huh: Yeah, probably not. Anyone hear of this before and what are usual suspects/fixes?

:thanks:



2006 FLHT
95"
SE cast flat tops
Cometic .030
SBC Heads
SE quick install p-rods
TW37b
Propipe
DTT
Rocker box bolts all tight and torqued correctly? RB gasket OK? This gasket sits right over your problem spot and oil runs downhill...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote: Rocker box bolts all tight and torqued correctly? RB gasket OK? This gasket sits right over your problem spot and oil runs downhill...)

All gaskets checked out fine. Nothing coming from the rocker box(on the outside anyway). I can see the oil coming out of the exhaust flange, around the head pipe.
 

·
Premium octane member
Joined
·
7,381 Posts
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but sounds like exhuast valve guide took at dump..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,508 Posts
Guide

TXCHOP said:
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but sounds like exhuast valve guide took at dump..
I believe you hit it, Dan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys. I sorta figured that might be the reason. Not the answer I was looking for but sometimes you gotta take the curveballs. Looks like I got another winter project to tackle.
best,
Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
651 Posts
Might not be that disastrous. I would first check the pushrod tubes and the pushrod tube o-rings for the rear jug. Clean everything off with brakecleen then run it and check to see where it's coming from. You can also temporarily wrap a wad of paper towel around the pushrod tube to see if that's where it's leaking. Had this happen with a friend's bike when the shop installed a pushrod tube clip that was too short and the tube wasn't sealing. Oil looked like it was coming from the exhaust flange.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote: Oil looked like it was coming from the exhaust flange.

It is definitely coming from the inside the head and out through the exhaust flange. I think a leaky p-rod tube seal, if that were the case, would make the oil run around the head on the fins, and then down onto the exhaust flange. There is no oil anywhere on the head other than the inside diameter of the exhaust flange.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
Pull the exhuast to get a better look. If it is bad valve, its easier if you pull the exhaust anyways,
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top