V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thing is *&^%$ me. The 2001, FLHTCI has the Stage I kit in the air cleaner. After a run the bottom of the air cleaner drips oil onto the cam cover, about 5/6 big drops. Then with the next run these drops blow back onthe muffler and shield. I hear tha *** is normal for crank case to do this. My question on a $18,000 motorcycle is this normal?

·
old timer
516 Posts
Neither my FAsTBOY (1996) nor my RoadGlide (2002) have had this problem. I have often heard about it from others and there are numerous threads and opinions on almost every board out there about this problem.

If it were me, I always carry a rag with me and I'd wipe the cam cover when I saw a drip. The crankcase vents to the aircleaner so 'some' oil vapor will get into the aircleaner, eventually I guess you can expect a drop or two.

The most common problem I have heard of is a misalignment of the oil pump in the '00 and '01 TC's.

manny

·
Registered
132 Posts
Originally posted by mike martin After a run the bottom of the air cleaner drips oil onto the cam cover, about 5/6 big drops. Then with the next run these drops blow back onthe muffler and shield. I hear tha *** is normal for crank case to do this. My question on a $18,000 motorcycle is this normal?
I had this problem - carb pucking - no it is not normal on any bike I know of.

First pull your air cleaner cover and filter and run the bike - check to see if there is a reversion problem between your jetting and your pipes, if there is the carb will be spraying gas into the filter - as well as spraying gas into the intake manifold - I guess it would be more accurate to say the gas is being pushed out of the carb. As a result the K&N filter (Do you have a K&N?) will get wet and the oil in the filter is what you see dripping. IF this is what's happening then your problem is jetting (or carb problems) and pipes, timing - the combination thereof.

If this is not the problem you can read all I did to fight it and see what you want to do. www.geocities.com/~tex_rustler/pucking.html
or just hit the site, chose harleys, chose tech tips, and chose TC88 carb pucking.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There are many threads on this subject, mostly concerning the alignment of oil pump gears, and as I recall it was all on 01 models, check with your local dealer.
Gary
02 FLHTCUI

1 - 4 of 4 Posts