V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the dealI have an 01 electra glide classic There is oil driping from behind the primary, not much it does drip my garage floor tells me so. It looks as if it runs from some were behind the primary and it gathers at the drain plug on the primary. I changed out the plug but stii it drips. I was told by others it may be my inner primary seal. SO no comes down to do I do the work myself or would it be better to let a wrench do it. And if I was to do it myself what tools would I'd be needing and what range of difficulty it would be.
any insite would be helpful
thanks
Kujo

·
Livin' Free Indeed
1,052 Posts
99.9% sure to be your shifter shaft seal leaking. Get down & look up from the bottom at the side of your tranny. You'll probably see drip marks on it. When the seal goes oil will leak down the side of you tranny, blow onto your inner primary, accumulate near your primary drain plug & both drip & blow back onto you rear pulley. You might notice dirt streaks on you pulley from the oil that's blown back having collected dirt.

Don't ask me how I know.

You'll need to pull the inner primary to replace the seal. A big pain in the butt.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
AzFAL said:
You'll need to pull the inner primary to replace the seal. A big pain in the butt.
Yup,you'll need a manual as stated,air impact wrench and large sockets,primary chain locking tool and lots of time to do it.
(careful the clutch hub nut is left hand thread!)
Read the manual carefully!!!!!!
Good time to do all the related seals trans etc while you are in there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
had the same problem on my Road king...(2003). it was a transmission seal. taking the primary cover off is easy...its getting the inside works undone that is not easy (unless you have the proper tools). if you are into heavy wrenching... its doable. if you are not too mechanically inclined...stay away from the job. By the way $378 to fix at the dealership.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
378 does not sound to bad of a deal to have all seals done and not deal with the headache of doing it myself.But then again it might be a good winter project, it'll keep me out of my wifes hair. Thanks for all of your input

kujo

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just had the same problem and bought a complete primary gasket kit. It turns out that mine was leaking from the inner primary o-ring. It took me about three nights to do the job and as long as you follow the manual step by step, it's not t too bad.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Y2K said:
Yup,you'll need a manual as stated,air impact wrench and large sockets,primary chain locking tool and lots of time to do it.
(careful the clutch hub nut is left hand thread!)
Read the manual carefully!!!!!!
Good time to do all the related seals trans etc while you are in there.
Yes read the manual, it says not use impact wrench on comp nut. Though some have done it by dialing air down. I just used a big cheater bar.

My 01, tranny shifter leaked too. Also looked like jack shaft and maybe priamry seal leaked, was big oilly mess. You can spray with brake clean, and observe. I replaced them all. Now my damn stator grommets leaking too#@SasF#

Personally I would just spray with brake clean until winter. Mine wasn't dripping, just a big mess. I changed oil more often, to be safe.

I don't think its unreasonable for a new guy, to do it in a weekend. If you knew what you were doing, and stayed at it, 4-6 hours. Me, I get distacted easy. Got to reread manual, come in and search the forum for other people who did it ect.

Alot of people replace with cometic seals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts