V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike: 2000 FLHTPI Police Electra Glide

After being on the road for weeks, I'm finally getting a window to tackle my charging system problems. I think I have tow inter-related issues:

1) Charging system has failed. Probably a bad stator, but...

2) It seems like I'm leaking a significant amount of oil from the grommet that seals the wires going into the primary chain case for the stator.

I'd expect that for the stator to function properly it can't be soaked in oil (right?)....if oil is getting into the housing would that cause the stator to fail? Never having dug into this before I'm not sure what to expect.

In tracing the oil leak, it sure seems like it's coming out at or near where the wire leads into the primary...

So anyone else face this problem?

I figure either way I'm going to have to test the stator and voltage regulator and remove the primary chain case to inspect and replace seals etc.

Could use any advice or guidance before I go hog wild w/ the wrench!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I seem to be having this exact problem right now with my '02 Low Rider. Using a multimeter we could determine it was the stator that had gone bad but I'm not a good enough mechanic to fix it myself. Having an indy do it. I noticed that there was oil inside the stator plug that comes out of the primary...as if the oil was traveling through the wire to the plug. That seemed strange.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
There was a service bulletin about relocating the stator/regulator connectors on 99-01 touring bikes. It is bulletin M1107 dated 2/20/2001. If yours hasn't been done, it will help to keep the oil in the primary. I don't think it would cause the stator to fail though. There were lots of early on TC problems with stator on police models and EFI touring bikes though.

If you want the service bulletin, either search for M1107 or email me. It was attached to a thread back in 2/2006.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I lost the stator on my ultra last year It was caused low oil level in the primary. The chain tensioner cover was warped and the sourse of the leak. I was about a pint low and the stator failed in about 300 miles. The oil in the primary is the cooling system for the stator.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
what have you done to checjk the charging system? You can unplug the leads coming from the stator and read a certain amount of AC per 1k rpm.

Can put a meter on battery and see what your getting dc, when revving back, should be arpund 14.5 DC.

Can also read the resitance between the leads to stator, to each othjer and two ground.

Do you have an electric manual? If not I can get some of the info I got 01 touring.

BTW, my stator grommet has been leaking for awhile. Hopefuly change this witner.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ed can you please send me that service bulliton # M1107. I also have a 99 EletraGlide carb model and I have noticed a leak. email address is [email protected].

Thanks Ed

·
Registered
150 Posts
Smell the oil if you have a burnt stator you can tell by the smell. Helped a friend change his and there was no doubt. When we smelled the oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts