HD Tech Bulletin
November 6, 2000

TC-88 Oil Pump Alignment

It has been observed that some TC-88 engines are experiencing oil in the air
cleaner when the vehicle is driven at high speeds. The correction for this
condition is to align the oil pump. This is accomplished using the Evo2
tappet block alignment screws, Part Number HD-33443. The procedure is as
follows:

1. Loosen all pump assembly mounting screws.
2. Remove two screws diagonal to each other.
3. Install the tappet block alignment screws in these two positions.
4. Torque the remaining screws to spec..
5. Remove the alignment screws/tools.
6. Install the previously removed screws and torque them to spec..

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by choppers4life
It has been observed that some TC-88 engines are experiencing oil in the air cleaner when the vehicle is driven at high speeds.
Shouldn't it read something like, "It has been observed that any Harley-Davidson, driven at any speed, experiences oil in the air cleaner."?

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
MadCity said:
Shouldn't it read something like, "It has been observed that any Harley-Davidson, driven at any speed, experiences oil in the air cleaner."?
That was my take...'course the MoCo won't want it seen that way...

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Not true

MadCity said:
I haven't experienced any oil blow by on either bike. '03 Ultra with 32,000 miles and '05 XL1200C with 10,500 miles. Just went out to the garage and swiped my hand around both air cleaners.........and just to prove it, I'm typing with out washing my hands after feeling around both....(but I DO run with scissors):harhar:

·
CMA-er
973 Posts
I assume, since the bulletin came out in 2000, that the procedure would have been done on 2004 bikes? If so, it doesn't work!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
My manual for 2001 does not have it. Erks me. I have heard differant things about rotating wheel. Instructions I got from Georgesgarage says not to. Others say to. I rotated figuring shouldn't hurt.

Be nice if this info was easier to get.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Some blow out oil, some don't. Realigning the pump works for some and not for others. Some guys just run the line to the ground or.........put a Kotex inside the air cleaner cover and change monthly.:hystria:

·
Free agent
795 Posts
Oil blowback

I kinda like the oil spewing out from the air cleaner. It keeps the leather bags on the right side nice and shiney!! Works great as a perservative. Mine is a 2005 RK and if the oil is at level...blowback occurs...but when down a 1/2 quart...no blowback.:chopper:

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Don't forget................

xxxflhrci said:
Some blow out oil, some don't. Realigning the pump works for some and not for others. Some guys just run the line to the ground or.........put a Kotex inside the air cleaner cover and change monthly.:hystria:
:yikes: Now you know, you really need to go to the dealer and have them install the genuine H-D pad, special model for syn oil as well ............%[email protected]

·
Registered
249 Posts
Only time I ever had oil in the cleaner was when I picked up my '94FXSTC after a service. Not only was there oil in the cleaner, but on the front fender and everything back. I made them wash and polish the whole bike, like it was done prior to delivering it for service. "Oh, I guess we overfilled the tank." was the explaination. They have been ever so careful since then, and that was in '94. They know I always have a spotless bike when they receive it for service and make sure it is in the same condition when I get it back.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Maybe altitude has something to do with oil blow by?

I rode my loaded down '04 FLHRCI this past summer, day in and day out in the Rockies, including a couple of times over 14,000 ft. I got some oil blow by into the breather cover,... enough that it routinely dripped down on the cam cover and all over the tranny side cover. Never really had it before, but then again, I don't think I ever ran it that hard.

Back home here on the prarie at sea level I don't seem to get it anymore.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You can feel the pump come into alignment when rotating the rear wheel in fifth gear with the spark plugs out. Its pretty simple with the bike on a lift to do this while sitting down on a milk crate and moving the wheel with your left foot and tightening the alignment pins. You can feel the pump come into place.

·
Cheaper to smoke crack!
106 Posts
Anyone document the procedure with photos?

I am having the same problem. Since I'm a visual learner, has anyone documented the procedure with photos? I have the service manual for my 2003 Ultra but since I can't read, not sure how much help it might be:unsure:

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
I did the alignment pins and rotated the wheel while I tightened the oil pump. I still get it when I run hard, tho not as much since break-in. Wait a minute, are you supposed to rotate the BACK wheel?????! :corn:

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I rotated the back wheel and used alingment pins, no oil in a/c even at 80 miles per hour. I must admit, being anal i probably put 2 miles on bike turning the rear wheel, to be damn sure pump was lined up right.
I saw a guy once that put a small kotex type mini pad in the bottom of breather cover to catch the oil. That was some good old yankee engineering.
And you can always get a new one (pad) from the OL.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Addendum...

H-D sanitary pads, $37.50 box of six. Complete with logo. Using any other product will void your warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
kotex

H-D sanitary pads, $37.50 box of six. Complete with logo. Using any other product will void your warranty.
so you ride your bike on the rag -nasty boy

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
the key was given a few posts back, pukes til it gets down a half quart. after all the aligning and rotating and padding, run a half low, worked for me. And if you have ever gotten your right leg puked on, you will understand, that ain't redwings, them be brown wings.
Redwings are way more fun.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts