V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at the dealer today checking the progress of my new FLTRI, still in crate, picked up some future extra oil filters. Kind of a shock at $8.95 each for the black ones. Any other oil filters made for the twin cam engines?
I do use purolator 5 micron filters on my Tundra and they look better than dealer ones with a silicone check valve and other high end features, kind of what the factory filter looked like.
Thanks folks.....
 

·
The Anti-RUB
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
I use K&N oil filters. Come in black and chrome. $12-13 but well worth it. Way better filter then HD's in my opinion. Also like them cause I don't need a special wrench to get them on/off.
 

·
The Anti-RUB
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
minivan said:
Petrock, where do you get your K&N filters at???
I get them from my local Cycle Gear (no shipping charge) for $13, but www.fox-performance.com ( Chrome PN#: KN-171C and Black PN#: KN-171B ) also sells them but they have shipping charge.

Pretty much any place that sells K&N products can order from their catalog. All you need is the K&N part #.

Enjoy...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
FE Butte said:
While at the dealer today checking the progress of my new FLTRI, still in crate, picked up some future extra oil filters. Kind of a shock at $8.95 each for the black ones. Any other oil filters made for the twin cam engines?
I do use purolator 5 micron filters on my Tundra and they look better than dealer ones with a silicone check valve and other high end features, kind of what the factory filter looked like.
Thanks folks.....
You say that the purolator filter is a 5 micron filter? at what percentage value is this? 5 Micron is a bit restrictive for automotive use if the rating efficiency is very high. If it is at nominal value (50%) like harley filters are then it won't be to restrictive. When filter company's use micron ratings to market their filters without giving the rating value they are hoping no one understands the difference.
 

·
2005 Road King Classic
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
I'm looking for cheap ones for break-in on first 25 miles and 100 miles. Will anything work from a parts store?
 

·
Got Jet Fuel ?
Joined
·
75 Posts
hey guys try these ............

OIL FILTERS
AC DELCO PF 53
AMSOil SMF 133/134/135
Baldwin B1413
Bosch 3330
Fram PH6022, PH6065A
Hastings LF576 LF157
Mobil1 M1-102
Motorcraft--FL793
NAPA 1348
Purolator ML16822
Purolator PL10241 / PL20064
STP----SMO-22
Wix-51288, 51348, 51785
:coffee:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,920 Posts
buy a filter made for your bike. you spent between 18,000 and 20,000 grand on the thing and want to save 4 dollars on a filter.
 

·
The Anti-RUB
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
brownjams said:
buy a filter made for your bike. you spent between 18,000 and 20,000 grand on the thing and want to save 4 dollars on a filter.
I'm with you on this one. You get what you pay for... That doesn't mean, however, you should buy HD's filter. It means don't buy cheap. Buy only good quality filters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,335 Posts
i have been running those cheep ass fram 6022 for almost 20 years on my 85 with no problems. $4 on sale at my fleet farm store. it's just more moco propaganda about only using genuine moco parts. someone makes the filters for them. the moco certainly doesn't make them. it goes to the lowest bidder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Filter quality

I agree with Bagga, filter quality is not dependant on the price you pay. I buy the generic version from Dennis Kirk, 6 at a time. They are reportadly a maker for one of the "MAJOR BRANDS". But one look tells you they are fine quality, and the micron thing is not significant to the quality of the filt. I pay about 5 bucks a filt. I cannot see for the life of me what could make any filter worth 10 bucks or more, be it bike, car or whatever. Unless maybe it includes a magnet in it! Buy the long version if it will fit your model. dab oil on the seal, turn it 3/4 turn after the seal makes contact. You should be able to remove it with just your hand if the torque is correct, no tools needed.:beer4u:
 

·
Pimp Daddy
Joined
·
386 Posts
skinnyass said:
I agree with Bagga, filter quality is not dependant on the price you pay. I buy the generic version from Dennis Kirk, 6 at a time. They are reportadly a maker for one of the "MAJOR BRANDS". But one look tells you they are fine quality, and the micron thing is not significant to the quality of the filt. I pay about 5 bucks a filt. I cannot see for the life of me what could make any filter worth 10 bucks or more, be it bike, car or whatever. Unless maybe it includes a magnet in it! Buy the long version if it will fit your model. dab oil on the seal, turn it 3/4 turn after the seal makes contact. You should be able to remove it with just your hand if the torque is correct, no tools needed.:beer4u:
:whatever:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
petrock said:
I use K&N oil filters. Come in black and chrome. $12-13 but well worth it. Way better filter then HD's in my opinion. Also like them cause I don't need a special wrench to get them on/off.
Not trying to defend Harleys filters, but what do you base your opinion on that K&N is way better than a HD oil filter? I have never seen any data on K&N filters other than how nice it's nuts are when removing the filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
792 Posts
george douglas said:
I have never seen any data on K&N filters other than how nice it's nuts are when removing the filter.
There is some over in BobIsTheOilGuy, but not necessarily specific to MC filters. Poking thru those discussions it would appear that the NAPA Gold (made by Wix) is a very good value (unless you crave chrome).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
gdkenoyer said:
There is some over in BobIsTheOilGuy, but not necessarily specific to MC filters. Poking thru those discussions it would appear that the NAPA Gold (made by Wix) is a very good value (unless you crave chrome).
What I have seen in the past on line with so called filter comparisons has been nothing but evaluations done by the naked eye, no bench oil flow tests per SAE test methods etc. Performed by a non fluid type engineer person making claims based on what they see when they pop open the can. No micron data or if they do mentioin micron sizes, no reference to the test value, such as nominal or absolute. A lot of difference between these two values. The reason you won't find good test and evaluations of filters is no one will spend the kind of money or has the facilities to do a proper test. Most filter company's are happy with using marketing hype and a shinny can to sell filters.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
LittleBear said:
How about this site? Not for MC but a true oil filter study I beleive.
http://www.OilFilterStudy.com/
This is one of the better studies, but it is still done by people that don't understand filtration. They referenced two filters having great flow rates and large tubes etc. without understanding that these are diesel filters and are built to a different design criteria. They should be comparing apples to apples if they really want to compare the filters by brand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Evo

What is a good after market filter for an Evo?
Not one for a TC.
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Top