V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering which or what type of oil filter wrench you all use and might recommend?

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
The one from H-D.
Doesn't hit the crank position sensor, and reasonably priced.
Or use the K&N oil filter. It has a nut welded to the end.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you talking about the cup type that fits over the end of the filter or the one that is a band that tightens when you twist the socket extension?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
he's talking about the one that goes over the end that has the notch cut out of it. I use k&n oil filter like he mentioned that has a nut on the end, but if I use the HD oil filter I just use a strap wrench you can buy at a hardware store, mine cost $7.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
I use a $3 Auto Zone end cup w/ 3/8" socket drive hole from Auto Zone. Works fine. I guess I'm ignorrant of the crank position sensor potential problem. But there's nothing to hit with this doobie from AZ. Is this an all TC concern or only some models? I have a FatBoy.

Lefty

·
Registered
292 Posts
I use soemthing my brother showed me. It's like a hugh pair of pliers. Got teeth right on the tips and the jaws are rounded like a filter. Can only move it a 1/8" at a grab, but it works. Just a few grabs and off it spins.

Now to figure out how to not spill so much oil all over!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
jkane said:
I use soemthing my brother showed me. It's like a hugh pair of pliers. Got teeth right on the tips and the jaws are rounded like a filter. Can only move it a 1/8" at a grab, but it works. Just a few grabs and off it spins.

cut the bottom and some of the side off a 2 liter pop bottle and hold that under filter when you finish unscrewing the filter. leave the cap on.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
jkane said:
Slide a bread bag or any plastic bag up around the filter as you unscrew it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts