V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oils (engine, tranny & primary) in my '02 FXDL today. As hard as I tried not to, I still ended up with a puddle of oil on the floor when I removed the old filter. I ended up having to completely wash the whole bike, which left it very shiny :D !
How do I avoid this mess next time? I poked a couple of holes in the filter (one for draining, the other for air) to try getting as much oil out as I could. I also tried to catch the oil in a plastic jug that I modified, but no luck.
I would appreciate any tips you can give me.

P.S. I bought the "official" H-D oil filter wrench at the dealer's for a mere $19.99. The wrench I normally use for the car & truck just wouldn't work. Any suggestions (after the fact) for what works?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I put wax papper under the filter and down to the floor to keep the oil off the engine. Using a shallow pan to catch the iol in. I am surprised that Harley does not have a special plastis what ever to keep oil off the engine when you screw the filter off. Hope this helps,,,,Dan:

·
Registered
236 Posts
aluminum foil or plastic from cut milk cartoon works great to catch the oil. I bought a standard NAPA oil wrench then used a hack saw to cut across the edge to get the "Harley cut". It took less than a minute to do the cut as the tool is pot metal. Works great and saved 15 bucks; enuf for a few beers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts